Mrs. Ralston's Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- Friday, April 29 - 11:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack; return Star Homework and Word Sort baggie).
- Monday, May 2 - Canteen closed
- Friday, May 6 - 1:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack; return Star Homework and Word Sort baggie).
- Thursday, May 12 - Pizza Hut fun lunch for those who preordered online.
- Friday, May 13- 1:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack; return Star Homework and Word Sort baggie).
- Thursday, May 19 - Aspen Grove Showcase
- Friday, May 20- 1:30 am dismissal (remember to pack a snack; return Star Homework and Word Sort baggie).
- Monday, May 23 - No school for staff and students for the Victoria Day holiday.
Socks, Shoes and Shirts: As the weather grows warmer, and our wardrobe changes, just a reminder to please once again review the student dress policy located at the front of your child's agenda. In the spring, students participate in gym both inside and outdoors. This means proper shoes are needed for such activities. This includes making sure your child comes to school with socks to protect their feet while walking in the hallways and help to prevent odor in their inside shoes.
Plants: Our next Science unit will be on the needs of plants. The students will be planting and experimenting with growing their own plants. If anyone has any additional potting soil that they would like to donate to our classroom, it's always welcome!
1) Sight Words: Our Sight Words of the week were “them”, "then", "when" and "just". Please feel free to add these two words to your weekly star homework practice activities.
2) Literacy: Vowels, both long and short, as well as vowel combinations are one of the most challenging concepts to grasp as a beginning reader. Being able to manipulate vowels show a whole new level of thinking and helps to improve students reading and spelling abilities! The students had a lot of fun this week learning the song "Apples and Bananas" as part of our music and literacy lessons. Have them teach you the song and then practice singing it for all your family members names!
3) Health: This week in health we have been focusing on the difference between little, medium and big problems. Little problems call for little reactions and can usually be solved on your own because they only affect one or two people. Hopefully this language can help in your family as well.