Ms. Larrabee's 1st Grade Class
The Buzz This week (2/1 - 2/5)
Writing: We'll be finishing our "How To" books this week and we'll begin a new, longer "How To" chapter book towards the end of the week. The kids finished editing and peer editing their papers today and they'll be writing their final copies tomorrow. They have become great "How To" teachers!
Reading: We're well into our poetry unit. This week we'll be looking at and writing poems with alliterations, metaphors and similes.
Word Work: Our studies in vocabulary will be with word endings -mp and -ck in words such as shrimp and sick. The new sight words we'll be practicing include: drop, grass, queen, scream, train.
Science: This week we will be learning all about the moon! We'll be learning about the different moon phases and patterns. We'll also visit the Makerspace this week as well.
Math: Addition to 100 and subtraction within 20 will be our focus this week. We'll continue to practice and enhance our addition and subtraction strategies as well as review place value.
"Buzz Worthy" Things to look out for...
- I emailed home February menus. If you would like a paper copy, please let me know.
- Homework calendars and January reading logs are due Wednesday, January 3rd. I will be mailing reading logs to Pasta House on the 3rd. New homework calendars and reading logs will be sent home this week.
- We are still in need of many volunteers to help run Fun Fair on Saturday, February 6th from 11-2. This is such a fun event for the kids. Please help be a part of it! Sign up here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040c4aa5af2ea02-keysor1.
- We are in need of some volunteers to help keep the Makerspace organized, clean and functioning. If you or a grandparent has some free time to help us out, please visit here to sign up!: www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0D44ABAF23A3FB6-makerspace Also, our next MakerSpace evening event will be February 16th at 6:30 p.m.
- The Tillman Elementary PTO has extended an invitation for an upcoming presentation to all Keysor parents. Amy Manus will be speaking to parents about anxiety in elementary kids. The presentation will take place at Tillman on March 30th from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in the Tillman gymnasium. This would benefit not only those parents of kids with anxiety, but also parents of their classmates and friends.
- This week is National School Counselor week. We'll be making cards for Ms. Gatcombe and Mrs. Lazarus this week.
- First Friday reading is this Friday! I hope to see you there!
1/25 - 1/29
Thank you to all of my parents who came to parent-teacher conferences the last two weeks! Your child's success at school is a joint effort between myself, my students and my parents. These parent-teacher conferences help reinforce our school- home relationship. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns throughout the rest of the year.
Last Monday, the Wilhelm's and Mr. Greenburg came to our classroom to complete our classroom's art project for our Trivia Night! We had a blast decorating tiles with sharpies and spraying them with alcohol to make them appear to be tie dyed. I cannot wait to see the final project!
We celebrated our great behavior with a class party last Tuesday. We wore our Pj's to school and watched the Boxcar Children as we ate popcorn!
On Wednesday, Mr. Bartin brought the Kirkwood School District's planetarium to the Keysor gym! We were able to see the sun, moon and stars rise and set. We also got a close up look of the moon, sun and planets. The kids enjoyed the experience and several wonderful questions were asked. I'm grateful Mr. Bartin was able to bring our science unit "to life"!
Thursday was our 100th day of school and our Kate Klise author visit! We started the morning off with Kate Klise. She taught the kids her formula for writing books! Kate Klise shared that every book needs: 1 main character, 1 problem and 1 adventure. After the author visit we spent the rest of the day celebrating our 100th Day of school! The kids looked great dressed up as elders or in their own 100 Day shirt creations!