Buzzin' in the Hive
Graden Family Newsletter Health & Safety Edition
Health & Safety
Health Guidelines for Students and Staff
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
- nausea or vomiting
- muscle pain
- lack of appetite
- loss of taste or smell
Exposure to COVID-19
Guidelines for Returning to School
- Quarantine for 14 days~ must complete the entire 14 days regardless of a negative test
Positive COVID test with symptoms~ must meet all these conditions:
- At least 10 days since symptoms first appeared
- At least 24 hours with no fever, without the use of fever-reducing medication
- symptoms have improved
Positive COVID test with no symptoms~
- At least 10 days since + test result
- If begin to have symptoms, will need to follow conditions for positive COVID test with symptoms and self-isolate from when symptoms began
Health Room and Quarantine Room
Our school nurse will follow all of the recommended health guidelines if a child is sent to the health room with COVID-19 symptoms. The following is a list of extra precautions we have in place for the health room.
- frequent hand washing, use of hand sanitizer, gloves
- visitors will wash their hands upon entering and exiting the health room
- masks will be worn by our nurse, students, and staff
- proper PPE will be worn based on the individual's health needs
- cots, chairs and other surfaces will be cleaned and disinfected between staff/student visits and throughout the day as needed
- custodial staff will clean and disinfect as part of their regular cleaning routine
- a designated quarantine room has been established for students/staff who may have COVID-19 symptoms
Basic Building Procedures
All students and staff must wear a mask upon entering the building. Masks must be worn at all times except when eating, drinking, or playing outside during recess and during physical education. All students will receive a lanyard. Masks and student ID cards will be attached to the student's lanyard. This will keep masks from getting lost and falling on the floor.
Hornet arrows and signage will be placed on the floors and walls and on lunch room benches to remind students the direction they are to walk, sit and for social distancing purposes.
For the safety of our students and staff, visitors will not be allowed in the building. Only school district employees are allowed to enter Graden Elementary. Unfortunately, this means no lunch or classroom visitors-even on the first day of school.
Backpacks and Lunch Boxes
Breakfast and Lunch
Students who choose to have breakfast will go directly to the cafeteria upon entering the building. Students will be offered a grab and go breakfast. Students will wash their hands and eat their breakfast in the cafeteria. If students arrive after 9:10 they will obtain breakfast and eat in their classroom as they complete their morning work and classroom routines.
In order to maintain social distancing, students will either eat lunch in the cafeteria or in their classroom. Food in the cafeteria will no longer be self-serve. Cafeteria staff will serve students as they come through the lunch line. All utensils and trays will be disposable. Stickers will be used as a visual for student seating. Students will sit in a staggered arrangement and will be at least 3 feet apart. Students will wash their hands before lunch and will use hand sanitizer as they enter and exit the cafeteria.
For now, all evening events, assemblies, music performances, field trips, etc. are canceled. An update regarding school clubs will be sent as soon as we have updated information.
We cannot distribute any outside food or beverages to our students. This means we will not have birthday treats from outside the school. If families or teachers would like to purchase birthday treats for their students, please work through our Park Hill Nutrition Services Department. You can reach them at 816-359-6419.
Extra Cleaning Procedures
Specials Classes- Art, Library, PE and Music
Some Last Requests
- Send a reusable water bottle to school with your child.
- Talk with your child about the importance of wearing a mask and have your child practice wearing a mask for longer periods of time.
- Be patient with us as we navigate through a very different school year.
- Contact us if you have questions or if your child is struggling.
- For more detailed information please refer to the Health and Safety Precautions on our district website: HEALTH AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
FRONT OFFICE INFORMATION
Assistant Principal: Courtney Bishop
Executive Administrative Assistant: Nikki Suchanick
Graden Registrar: Meghan Wheeler