School Wide Literacy Initiative November 2015
Why is literacy important?
"Once you learn to read you will be free forever"
— Frederick Douglas
It's never too soon for students to begin thinking of themselves as college material. Middle and junior high students should be developing the habits and skills of successful students and taking challenging courses to prepare themselves for the increasing rigor of college prep classes in high school.
Family Fun Literacy Night - Sponsored by PTSA
Thursday, Nov. 19th, 6:30-8pm
2615 Clifton Avenue
Vocabulary Word of the Week
To receive messages via text:
- text @wowstem to 81010
- You can opt out of messages at anytime by replying, 'unsubscribe @wowstem'
To receive messages via email:
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To unsubscribe, reply with 'unsubscribe' in the subject line
Tips to help your child become a better reader!
How Parents Can Encourage Teens to Read
By: Reading Is Fundamental
You know that reading is important and you want to make sure that your teenager grows into adulthood with all the skills he or she needs to succeed. The following list offers suggestions for encouraging your teens to read.
1. Set an example. Let your kids see you reading for pleasure.
2. Furnish your home with a variety of reading materials. Leave books, magazines, and newspapers around. Check to see what disappears for a clue to what interests your teenager.
3. Give teens an opportunity to choose their own books . When you and your teen are out together, browse in a bookstore or library. Go your separate ways and make your own selections. A bookstore gift certificate is a nice way of saying, "You choose".
Used with permission from Reading is Fundamental.
There are multiple after-school clubs that involve literacy....Find one and join!
Are you interested in Anime or Manga? Like to read, draw, write or discuss graphic novels? Join us in Room 2139 every Thursday from 3:20-4:20.
Ms Lynch and Mrs Ogletree
meets in Room 3110 on Wednesdays from 3:20-4:20
Louder Than A Bomb and #Charisma Flow
#Charisma Flow meets in Room 3110 on Wednesdays from 3:20-4:20