Friday, January 25, 2018
From Mrs. Lewis...
- Please be reminded that all book bags must be placed in a locker during the school day.
- January 28th is the last day for students to qualify to make their goal for the second nine weeks in Accelerated Reader
- Mark your calendars, we're celebrating! Great growth was seen across the board with benchmarks and you deserve a break.Coverage will be provided for all staff members on Friday, February 1st during your lunch. Enjoy a quiet lunch on your own. Bring/purchase your lunch, as usual. Dessert will be on us!
- Spartan Time names/standards should be updated, as well as, lesson plans for next week.
- Please remember that in PowerTeacher Pro assignments cannot be left blank for students. A grade or exemption must be entered.
- Tuesday, Jan 29, is a required work day. Please arrive by 8. We will meet in the library at 8:50 for a great presentation(You are in for a treat). Lunch will be provided. Planning will take place after lunch. More details to come.
- Don't forget to sign up on the Instructional Board to show off your talent! Thank you to those of you who have aleady done so!
- Pep Rally Monday - Please speak with your students about behavior to and from the assembly AND appropriate assembly behavior. Please follow the assembly schedule, attached.
- Best of luck to our Robotics Team who will present at the Committee of the Whole Meeting with board members! Thank you to Mrs. Gross for her hard work with out students.
- CHANGE: The semester change for electives will take place on January 31 and Feb. 1st. Teachers should take their students to the gym where students will be called by roster to their elective class.
- Retention Information will be disseminated.
- This past week, Ms. T. Johnson and I met with other principals and teachers to share issues in edcuation with Representative Garland Pierce. The following concerns were shared...teacher pay, teacher shortage, mental health issues of students, competition with charter/private schools and the fact there is no accountability with testing for them (even when public tax dollars are used), Pierce Testing Rigor, and Reprocity of licensure concerns of teachers coming from different states.
- Awards Program - Friday, February 8th! We will have our jeans day on Thursday, February 7th instead of that Friday. Dress for Success on the 8th.
Safety Review Information: Please review the necessary information with students!
- All students and staff will evacuate the building in accordance with the fire drill plan posted in classrooms and other locations throughout the building. (Please see Mrs. Tippett if you do not have a fire drill plan/map posted in your classroom.)
- Teachers will close all doors/windows in their classrooms and turn lights off.
- Teacher will take class roster and ensure that all student are accounted for.
- Students and staff will remain in the evacuation area until administration / fire department officials declare the building a safe premise.
*Remember: Items are not allowed to be hanging from the ceiling. For example; lights, paper, etc.
*Plug-in air fresheners are prohibited.
Lockdown/Intruder: "Code Blue"
- The person who notices a suspicious person(s) should notify the school administrator or the office immediately providing description of individual(s) and location.
- **Remind students they are NOT to open an outside door for anyone.**
- The Administrator will investigate and determine if further action is warranted and if law enforcement assistance is required.
- If the situation is threatening, the Administrator will announce "Code Blue" over the intercom.
- The Custodians will SECURE doors at all entrances to the school and the doors. Halls will be closely monitored. The Principal will designate tow members of the Crisis Action Team to go around and check all indoor classroom doors to insure they are locked. The cafeteria manager will insure that the cafeteria doors are closed.
- Teacher will LOCK their doors FIRST, making sure every student is accounted for, move students away and themselves from the windows. Students who are in the bathrooms/hallways will be take in by the closest classroom.
- PE STAFF will check the athletic fields and direct those classes on the fields back into the main building.
- All entrances to the school will be locked and monitored closely by members of the Crisis Action Team.
- The Principal will provide face-to-face communication either from administrators or law enforcement when it is safe to unlock doors and resume normal activities. NO ANNOUNCEMENT WILL BE MADE OVER THE INTERCOM.
- Kudos to Mrs. Williams, Ms. Francis, Mrs. Chavis and Mrs. Carter for being recognized as performing at the top 25% of our district and/or state! Bonuses went out this past week! Thank you for your hard work!
- We had a great turn out for our Snowball Dance. Thank you to the following for helping out...Sioco, Oswald, Gross, Odom, Knauss, Bream, Williams, Chevalier, Hersey, Casey and Ms. Audrey. (I hope I did not forget anyone.)
- Thank you to Mr. Bream for a great 6th Grade Band Concert! Students and parents, alike, seemed to enjoy! Thank you to staff members that attended.
- A big shout to our coaches that spend many hours each week to work with our students outside of the school day. (Hersey, Cain, Allen, Grady)
- A huge shout out to Mr. Dunham for a great testing week. We had few issues with testing and we appreciate your planning and organization!
- Thank you to the front office staff for all you do to ensure a smooth day and welcoming environment for our visitors! (Ms. Janet, Ms. Lynette and Ms. Audrey)
- Kudos to the Staff of the Month Committee for their diligent work in recognizing the hard work of our staff members.
- Thank you to Ms. Allen for coordinating spirit week and the pep rally. We look forward to a lot of fun to celebrate!
- January 28- End of 9 Weeks
January 28- SIT meeting
January 28- Pep Rally @ 2:15 (see attached)
January 28- SIT Meeting
January 29- Required Teacher Work Day 8 - 3:45
January 28 - Basketball vs. Carver @ HOME
January 29- Required Workday
January 31- SEARCH assembly for 8th grade @ 2:00 in the cafeteria
January 31- Electives change
January 31- Basketball vs. Rockingham @ HOME (Homecoming)
February 1- Donuts with Dads
February 1- Staff Lunch Coverage
February 1- Homecoming Dance
- February 4- Faculty Meeting (Required)
February 4 - 8- National School Counselor Week (We celebrate our counselors, Mrs.Snell and Ms. Locklear!)
- February 4 - Staff Meeting
- February 4- NAEP 8th Grade ELA/Math
- February 6- Report Cards go home
- February 8- Awards Program 8:45 (7th & 8th Grade) 9:55 (6th Grade)