The DCMS Bat Signal: 4/9/19
Super me, super you, everyday heroes make dreams come true.
Good Morning Team DCMS Superheroes!
Good Tuesday to you all! Thank you for your attention and efforts today in the Schoology training. The expectation in terms of what you need to have complete PRIOR to the next training on April 23rd is you need to complete modules 1 - 3. So, modules 1 - 3 are to be completed prior to coming to the training on 4/23.
Thank you to Kim Purdy, Colleen Cassity, Kendall Hendricks, Nancy McGovern, Elizabeth Seegers, and Brandon Gleason who all helped out in some way at the School Board Meeting last night. I appreciate all of you and your willingness to step up.
As well, there are two new hires of note in the district that you should be aware of...new Chief Financial Officer, Matt Parkinson, & new Director of Buildings and Grounds, Richard Land. I don't have much background information on Matt, but I am sure Dr. Shafer will share more information later. Richard has been a long time employee of the district and has been promoted into his new role. Congratulations to both of them.
PD: Whetting the Appetite: Teach Like a Champion - 100% Part 1 - Compliance You can See
I want to assure you that each of the elements is simple and easy to implement. You just must be willing to do it. They are so simple that you will be tempted to think they are not important. But, you would be wrong.
Here is a small bit of information about visible compliance by Doug Lemov. This portion is taken from the blog located here: You are here: Home / Blog / The 2.0 of 100% Plus Some Great Video of Jamie Smith (Video).
100% Part 1: Visible Compliance–In this technique, I talk about how to “see” your classroom better by standing in certain places and training yourself to scan in certain ways so you know what’s going on reliably. I call this Radar. I think I speak the truth when I say that the struggles of many teachers with off-task behavior start with not seeing it. I also talk here about BSL or “Be Seen Looking,” the process of subtly making visible to your students the fact that you are looking to see if they do what you expect and that you care. One of the most common reasons students don’t do what we ask is, it turns out, that we don’t watch to see if they do.
Teachers who were given ILearn Manuals before spring break MUST dispose of them! New manuals were given out yesterday.
Enter Grades into IC Consistently
Teachers need to be regularly entering grades into IC (1/wk 1/2wk). There are several teachers who have no Q4 grades showing. Upon investigation, this is because nothing has been entered in their grade books yet. YIKES! Remember RA classes should have one or two grades entered by now even if it is simple participation. Thank you for your quick action to remedy this issue!
- MS 5th Grade Band Information Night - Tuesday, April 9, at 7 PM in the DCMS cafe
- MS Dodgeball Tournament - Thursday, 4/11, at 5:30 PM in the MS gym - CANCELED
- 6th Grade Zoo Field Trip - Friday, 4/12
- DLTA Building Rep Mtg - Friday, 4/12 @ 1 PM
- DCSC Corporation Art Show - Saturday, 4/13 @ 1 PM at DHS
- 8th Grade Choir Concert @ DHS - Thursday, April 18, at 7 PM in DHS auditorium
- Olivia's Cause Convocation for All Grades- Friday, 4/19 (more details to come)
- Builders Club Earth Day 5k Run - Saturday, 4/20 @ 9 AM at South Elementary; register at www.danvillekiwanis.org
- Administrative Assistants' Week - 4/22 - 4/26 - Be sure to shower Tisha, Sheila, Penny, and Eva with all forms of appreciation!
- ILearn Testing Window - 4/22 - 5/17
- NJHS Induction Ceremony - Tuesday, 4/30, @ 6:30 PM in the gym
- School Principals' Day - Wednesday, 5/1
- Nurse's Day - Monday, 5/6
- Teacher Appreciation Week - Monday, 5/6 - Friday, 5/10 (more details to come)
- School Board Mtg - Monday, 5/13 @ 6:30 PM in South Elementary cafe
- Senior Walk @ DCMS - Tuesday, 5/14 @ ~10:55 AM; all classes to line the hallways
- 6th & 7th Grade Choir Concert - Tuesday, 5/14 @ 7 PM in the MS gym
- 4th Graders Visit DCMS - Thursday, 5/16
- 4th to 5th Parent Transition Meeting - Monday, 5/20
- MS Band Concert - Tuesday, 5/21, at 7 PM in the MS gym
- Last Student Day - Friday, 5/24
- Last Teacher Day - Tuesday, 5/28
- PLC* - Wednesday, 4/10, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (*A portion of this meeting will be on ILearn.)
- Department Head Meeting - Tuesday, April 16, @ 3:30 PM in Marsha's office
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 4/17, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Compliance You Can See)
- Faculty Mtg - Tuesday, 4/23, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (Schoology Training Part 2: bring headphones)
- EOY Meeting for Instructional Assistants - Tuesday, 4/23, @ 3:30 in training room
- EOY Meeting for Sec/Treasurer/Nurses - Tuesday, 4/23, @ 4 PM in the training room
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 4/24, in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Firm Calm Finesse ) Please PLC during common prep time one day this week. Your choice of which day.
- Faculty Mtg - Wednesday, 5/1 in The Bat Cave @7:25 AM (TLaC - 100% Firm Calm Finesse) Please PLC during common prep time one day this week. Your choice of which day.
Marsha Out - I will be out on 4/11 at the Teacher Candidate Interview Day. I hope to find us some good ones! I will also be out on 4/18 for a multitude of doctor appointments.
Shorts, Longs, & Coaching Observations – Expect that we will be visiting frequently and maybe even multiple times in a week.
Attendance Must Be Taken EACH Period – Attendance must be taken each period. This is not optional and cannot continue to be forgotten. At this point, this is considered a minimum performance expectation.
- Cell Phone Violations Procedures are found here at the following link. Please familiarize yourself with the process. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yo87qFzgaYYG4L5Tw6LKFdpQ7d_OHymU4UId1rL2qlI/edit?usp=sharing
- Friday School / Detention Supervisor Sign-Up – Please sign up to supervise a Friday School or Detention for the good of the school culture using the links below. Detentions will now be on Thursday AM and Thursday PM.
Detention - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Xz-cAK_wEAroQymY6EMxUSFs8afMLCGJ0g0UpOcnbHY/edit?usp=sharing
School Year Theme for 2019-2020? Ideas?
Our superhero theme has served us well for this year. I am not sure I did the best job of taking advantage of all the opportunities to connect to it as I would have liked. We can consider keeping the theme for one more year OR choosing a new one to get behind.
Finals Schedule for S2
The grades 7 & 8 finals schedule is as follows:
- Friday, 5/17 - White Related Arts
- Monday, 5/20 - Red Related Arts
- Tuesday, 5/21 - Math
- Wednesday, 5/22 - ELA
- Thursday, 5/23 - SCI
- Friday, 5/24 - SS
No final exams are to be given early.
Yearbook Signing time for students will be on Thursday, 5/23, starting at ~2:30 PM.
Yearbooks will be delivered to GOAL or last period (for 5th) prior to yearbook signing. Do not distribute to students until 2:30 PM the day of signing. If it rains, we will do 5th and 6th in their respective hallways; 7 and 8 in the café.
Last Day Schedule for 7/8
Thank you to Amanda Birkey who helped to me revise and correct the schedule below.
All teachers are expected to attend. If you do not have an assigned class at that time that you are taking to the gym, sit with one of the related arts teachers who has your students to assist him or her in supervision. It is likely that one or all of them will be getting up to present an award. Please spread yourselves around. Department Heads/Presenters, please be poised and ready to give your awards prior to the previous presenter finishing. The goal is to complete our program in an hour or less. When you finish presenting your award please introduce the next presenter. For example, Mrs. Hayse will say, "and now Mrs. Smith will present the Math Department awards." Mrs. Smith will say, "and now Mr. Gleason will present the Science Department awards." and so on. Keep your introduction to the awards succinct. Do not go, rogue, McGovern. Love you, Nancy.
About Us: Mission & Collective Commitments
We are a collaborative group of educators committed to ensuring high student achievement.
We commit to…
- Focusing on student proficiency of Indiana College & Career Readiness standards, not just coverage of material.
- Working collaboratively to benefit all students with a focus on results.
- Join forces to learn by doing on a daily basis.
- Using frequent common assessments that inform and drive our instruction.
- Providing intervention and enrichment based upon the formative data.
- Furthering a culture that uses value-added language, encourages one another, and celebrates successes.