KASL February Newsletter
YOUR STATE-LEVEL SCHOOL LIBRARY ORGANIZATION
February is Black History Month! How might your school library celebrate?
Congratulations January Membership Drive Winners!
DISTRICT SPOTLIGHT! EKASL
- The 2020-2021 school year started with new leadership. Amanda Hensley (Greenup) is president; Tiffany Boggs (Greenup) is vice-president; Kim DeAtley (Flemming) is secretary; Sheila Meade (Ashland) is treasurer.
- The officers created an EKASL Twitter account and a new EKASL website.
- The Eastern district wrote and approved a Constitution/Bylaws, and they were voted on and approved in January.
- We have also created seven hours of professional development for the 20-21 school year for its members. The primary focus has been helping librarians gain knowledge and tools to utilize in a virtual setting.
- At the January meeting, our guest keynote speaker was Donnie Piercey, KY Teacher of the Year. Sheila Meade also shared about Bitmoji Classroom.
- Our March meeting will feature Tim Jones.
- We have also focused on membership and growing our numbers. All our meetings have been virtual, which has helped members be able to attend. When we return to in-person, we are going to hosts meetings at different locations across our region so that more members can attend in person.
- The next EKASL meeting will be Saturday, March 6 from 10:00 am - noon. This meeting will be virtual.
- EKASL has a BRAND-NEW scholarship for our members! It will reimburse members $100 toward any library-related PD opportunity.
- At the end of the year, we are going to reimburse one lucky member for their KASL membership fee!
FREE access to School Library Connection thanks to KET!
School Library Connection can help you improve your school library program whether you’re in your first year on the job or a seasoned pro. Inside, you’ll find a continually growing library of high-quality webinars and self-paced courses, cutting-edge ideas and inspiration from peers, and thousands of new book and digital resource reviews each year—by school librarians, for school librarians.