From Nothing to Something
An Online Learning Success Story (updated 4/28/2016)
How do I access this page?!
READY, SET, GO
Find the Opportunity
Reality v. Perception
Desired v. Actual
People, Time, Resources, $
Plan the Work, Work the Plan.
Create systems for monitoring, sharing, feedback.
Hold team accountable.
Schedule work sessions and sufficient amount of time for building courses.
Know the tools/resources and how to use the tools/resources.
Review. Revise. Repeat.
Routine review of work.
Flexible adjustments in the moment.
Document progress and outcomes with data.
Have team members take each other's classes.
TIPS AND TRICKS
2. Use chunking.
- Are there transitions? Is the anticipated pacing realistic? Is the information digestible?
- Way too easy to add excessive content.
- Recognize that people need time to understand the expectations, learn to navigate the learning environment, complete the tasks, interact with their colleagues, and process the information.
- Vary the activities. If you don't, you WILL lose 'em.
- Include a variety of multimedia tools. If you don't, you WILL lose 'em.
- Is the course engaging? Is the course repetitive?
- Avoid irrelevant and useless content that clutters the participant's working memory. Less is more.
4. Don't forget the basics.
- Make sure everything works ALL the time.
- Include instructions.
- Provide contact information for learner support.
5. Stay connected.
- Check-ins regarding progress
6. Be consistent in formatting. (within a course, across courses, and across team members' courses)
- Have someone with an eye for details give feedback.
- Watch fonts, size, spacing, white space.
- Put words near pictures (no wide gaps).
- View your layout in different browsers and on different devices.
7. Create a "grade book" to track progress.
8. Reserve time on your calendar to visit and review course participation.
9. Build your network.
- Find your gurus.
- Be a mentor.
10. Do not take it personally when a participant whizzes through your online course. There will always be people who are minimalists, quick learners, and current experts. Again, know thy audience and content. Well. REALLY WELL.
DATA & DOLLARS
- 74 unique hrs F2F PD
- 38 duty days F2F PD
- 114 hrs online PD
- Google site PD sections
- Substitutes $29,465