Chestnut Grove Parent News
April 11 - 15
"Every student matters; Every minute counts!"
Dear Chestnut Grove Families,
Our 4th & 5th graders will take ACAP Reading this week and all 2nd-5th graders will take ACAP Math next week. Please encourage your child to get a good night's sleep, eat breakfast, and to do their very best. All 2nd - 5th graders who meet the criteria set by teachers will get to attend a movie party at our neighboring church auditorium, The Church at Stone River. Watch for more information regarding this exciting end-of-testing celebration!
CONGRATULATIONS to our GreenPower Team for placing 2nd in the Slalom race and 6th place overall Friday out of 19 teams! We are proud of you!!
2022-23 Kindergarten registration is open; help spread the word!
Reminder that students will not attend school Friday, April 15th.
Rebekah Higgins, Principal
At Chestnut Grove, EVERY student matters.
If you have a question, concern or need, please feel free to reach out to us!
Classroom needs - your child's teacher
Social emotional needs - counselor email@example.com
Attendance/Office - firstname.lastname@example.org
Health/medication - email@example.com
Other concerns firstname.lastname@example.org
CGES IMPORTANT EVENTS
April 12 -14: ACAP ELA (4th & 5th grade)
April 15: No School for students (Teacher work day)
April 19 & 20: ACAP Math (2nd-5th grade)
April 19: DCS Family Academy session at Decatur Middle, 6:00pm
April 22: Progress Reports (3rd-5th only)
April 22: Earth Day
April 25 & 26: PreK takes Kindergarten readiness assessments
April 27: Office Appreciation Day
April 28: Pop Tab Drop-off day
April 28: Kindergarten Program, 6:00pm
April 29: Student of the Month
May 2-6: Teacher Appreciation Week
May 3: New Kindergarten Orientation, 6pm (For K registered to begin in the fall)
May 6: Cafeteria Appreciation Day
May 11: Nurse Appreciation Day
May 12: Chestnotes Program, 6:00pm
May 13: Field Day
May 24: 3rd, 4th, & 5th grade Awards Day
May 25: Report Cards go home
May 26: Last day (half day) for students
SUMMER SPORTS/SKILLS CAMP @ AMS
Pop Tab Drop-offs in CGES Foyer
"Since 2001, communities across Alabama have made a huge impact through tiny pop tabs! Schools, families, and businesses alike collect pop tabs throughout the year and donate them to our House. Ronald McDonald House Charities of Alabama partners with Brother's Recycling to receive funds based on the going rate per pound of aluminum recycled. These funds are used to support the mission of the House, which can include things like utility bills and supplies that families need."
2022-2023 Kindergarten Registration is now open!
Kindergarten Registration is now open for the 2022-2023 school year. (click for website) The Kindergarten registration is for children who are 5-years- old on or before September 1, 2022.
Please call 256-580-4346 to schedule an appointment to complete enrollment. The Enrollment Office is located at 212 4th Ave SE, Decatur, AL 35601.
What do you need on the day of your appointment?
Completed Kindergarten Registration Cover form and documents listed below.
(English) Kindergarten Documentation Cover Sheet.
(Spanish) Kindergarten Documentation Cover Sheet.
Proof of name and age (a Birth Certificate is suggested)
Social Security card is helpful but NOT REQUIRED
Proof of address in parent’s name (Decatur Utility bill or entire rental agreement from a corporation) you may follow this link for more information about the proof of address requirements.
Alabama Immunization Certificate or a Certificate of Exemption
Any custody documents, if applicable. Custody Papers are required if you are divorced or you are not the parent listed on the birth certificate.
Parent/Guardian photo ID.
If you need assistance you can contact the Enrollment office at 256-580-4346.
Help your child at home: ARI Reading Help
Need some ideas on how to show your child's teacher or you appreciate them? Working in education is more difficult than ever before; a simple "thank you" can help a teacher or staff member get through a really tough day.
- Send a note or email thanking them for something specific they did for your child.
- Thank our office staff for the hundreds of calls and issues they handle on a daily basis.
- Say "thank you" to our hard working custodial and cafeteria staff.
- Encourage your child to do show kindness and thankfulness to other students and adults.
- Have your child draw a picture or write a note for their teacher or staff member that helps them.
- Ask teachers how you can help them.
- Encourage your child to thank a substitute when they have one.
- Drop off snacks for our teacher's lounge.
- Contribute to our faculty coffee/hot chocolate bar.
- Offer to get your teacher lunch one day.
- Celebrate your teacher's birthday.
- Contact PTO to help with special events throughout the year.
- Ensure your child is reading at home for at least 15 minutes and/or working on any suggested support to help your child (letters/sounds, sight words, fluency passage, etc.). It only takes a few minutes! A little help at home goes a long way at school.
- Pray for our teachers and staff. They show up and work hard for our students, despite the hardships many are facing in their personal lives. Our CGES family is THE BEST. Help show them!
Join PTO! We need your support.
With any questions, email CGES attendance clerk ~ email@example.com
Pre-K school day runs 7:30am-2:00pm. Dismissal is in the south parking lot.
For K-1 dismissal, please wait until 2:20pm (after PreK dismissal is complete) before pulling into the K-1 parking lot.
K-5 school day runs 7:45am-2:45pm.
- 7:15am - Doors open for students to report to the cafeteria. Breakfast is offered.
- 7:35am - Students dismissed to classrooms
- 7:45am - Students who arrive after 7:45am will be counted tardy.
- 2:45pm - Dismissal
ARRIVAL: Students should be dropped off and picked up in the front carlines (south:K-1; north: 2-5). The rear parking lot is designated for buses only. Teachers are stationed to assist your child.
DISMISSAL - Carline numbers are required and should be posted at the top passenger side of your windshield to pick up your child. If you need a replacement card, notify your child's teacher. Please do not pull in to the south parking lot until after 2:15 to allow time for Pre-K dismissal to end.
If you need to check your child out in the afternoon, you must do so before 2:15 to avoid congestion in preparation for dismissal.
If you have a change in your daily transportation, it is imperative you communicate directly with your child's teacher (each teacher has sent home instructions for signing up)
Stay connected ~
- Ensure you are signed up for teacher communication
- Visit our website https://www.dcs.edu/ and social media
- Check your child's communication folder/binder daily
- Join PTO and sign up to volunteer