Tax Payment FAQ
Info regarding DeForest Property Tax Payments
When were tax bills mailed?
- Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Where do I make my payment?
- Village Office, 120 S Stevenson Street, during office hours
- Drop-box located inside entrance of Village Office
*include phone number so staff can easily reach you if needed
- Mail to the Village Office
*include phone number, and must be postmarked by December 31, 2016 to be
credited in 2016
Can I make a partial payment instead of the complete first installment?
- Yes, payment can be for any amount the tax payer would like to pay; however, the first installment must be paid by January 31, 2017 or interest will accrue on the balance and the entire amount with interest and penalties will be due to Dane County along with the 2nd installment by July 31, 2017.
Can I get a receipt?
- Bring your tax bill during office hours for a stamped receipt
- Include a self addressed stamped envelope with mail or drop-box payments. A receipt will be mailed to you.
- Call the Village Office at 846-6751 and a receipt can be emailed to you.
What are the Village office hours?
- Monday - Thursday, 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
- Friday, 7:30 AM - 2:00 PM
- CLOSED: December 23rd, December 26th, and January 2nd
What types of payment are accepted?
- Cash or Check
What is the Mill Rate for 2016?
- $20.25 (Assessed Level divided by 1000 x Mill Rate - Lottery Credit = Tax Bill)
How much is the lottery credit?
My tax bill doesn't show a lottery credit. How do I get that?
Did you live in your house as of January 1, 2016?
- If yes, submit Lottery Credit form LC-100 with tax payment and deduct from the amount due.
- If no, did someone live in the home as of January 1, 2016?
-If no, the lottery credit for 2016 cannot be applied.
How are refunds handled? When will I receive my refund?
- Refunds are made to the taxpayer - not the financial institution. You will receive your refund in approximately 10 business days.
How do I change my name on the tax bill?
- All name changes need to be made by the Register of Deeds 608-266-4141.
How do I change my mailing address on the tax bill?
- All mailing address changes can be made by the Village of DeForest, 608-846-6751 or by the Register of Deeds 608-266-4141.
Helpful links here: Tax Info