"PEEK at PEAK" - Fifth Grade News
For those of you who are new to PEAK, PEAK does not host Parent / Teacher conferences in February. Our two Open Houses replace the conference nights. However, if anyone (old or new) feels like they would like a conference, I am always happy to meet with parents. Please feel free to email me to set up an appointment. In May I will send home a comprehensive student progress report accompanied by student work!
- Topic Study: We took notes and worked on essential questions for topic study #2!
- Math: We continued to work in our Algebra unit - everyone is working really hard!
- We revisited "5 things every mathematician and scientist need to know" Rule number 2: Your Mind Can Be Fooled: Counter-intuitive Thinking. We used the Kansas City Hyatt Regency disaster as an example. Ask your child to explain this principle.
- Most students finished writing and we are working through the editing process. Students will have 3 editors look at their writing piece. Editors will give feedback on: ideas/content, organization, voice, sentence fluency, and conventions or grammar.
- We continued to examine museums: Our purpose: To better understand how a museum is designed / set up and to model our projects after authentic museum displays. Students will create an additional project to represent our depth and breadth of knowledge. Ask your child about his/her virtual tour of the Smithsonian - it is almost like being there!
New Apps are where it's at ---
We have learned the following new Technology Applications:
- Evernote ---for Theme Study
- Symbaloo - "PEAK PAD"
- Drop Box
- S'more poster
- Google Docs
- Create a Graph
- Live Binders --- for Topic Study
- Edmodo (review)