The Counseling Capsule
From the CYES School Counselors
For the Week of December 7, 2015
December's Pillar is CARING
All Month Long...
* Character Chat Topic: Caring
*Classroom Character Challenge Topic: Caring and acts of Kindness. Play along with us!
* Family Character Calendar: Caring day by day
December 1 - 10 Canned and Boxed Food Drive for a local food pantry. (Make sure you let me know if you need a box in your room!)
December 7 - 11: School wide Caring Card Making Activity in recognition of the pillar of Caring. Staff and Students each make one card for Mrs. Lang to distribute to residents of local long term care facilities. Cards are due Dec 11.
December 10th, 6 - 8 pm: Family STEAM night: CANSTRUCTION - bring canned and boxed food items to the book fair and learn how to design and build a free standing structure with those items using Caring Communication Skills as a family unit.
December 11: SPIRIT DAY
* Wear Red
* School Wide Activity: Caring for Others - Card Making Activity Due. Cards will be delivered to local nursing home residents before the winter break.
Mrs. Lang's Schedule (Grades 1, 3 and 5)
Mrs. Lang's Schedule is as follows:
Monday, December 7
Staff and Students make Caring Cards this week!
9:30 - 10:30 am Parent Preview of Videos being used for FLE lessons in December
11 - 11:45 Making Good Choices GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Making Good Choices GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs. McDonald Grade 5 - Conflict Resolution
3 - 3:40 Ms Gearhart Making Good Choices Small Group
Tuesday, December 8
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling Ms. Crouch-Grade 3 - Time To Tell video
11:15 - 12 Making Good Choices - GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch (Ramirez)
12:30 - 1:15 Changing Families -GRADES 3, 5 Lunch Bunch
2:25 - 3 Classroom Counseling Ms. Paulhamus -What Tadoo Video
3 - 3:40 Stress Less GRADES 3, 5 Small Group
Wednesday, December 9
Response to Intervention Meeting (am)
9:20 - 10 am Classroom Counseling - Mr. Barton - Time To Tell video
11- 11:45 Making Friends GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Making Friends GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling Ms. Payne/Mrs. Orr Grade 5 - Time To Tell video
Thursday, December 10
(Last day of Canned and Boxed Food Drive)
9:20 - 10 Classroom Counseling -Mrs. Jones - Time To Tell video
11 - 11:45 Changing Families GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Stress Less GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2 - 2:40 Classroom Counseling Mrs. Woodby Conflict Resolution
3 - 3:40 BLAST Meeting in Mrs. Lang's office
6 - 8 pm Family STEAM event
Friday, December 11 CARING SPIRIT DAY
(Character Chat, Wear Red, Continue working on Classroom Character Challenge)
Caring Cards DUE TO MRS. LANG
BLAST and PTO Morning cocoa delivery to bus drivers
10 - 10:40 am Classroom Counseling - Mrs. Bouch - Time To Tell video
11 - 11:45 Goal Setters GRADE 1 Lunch Bunch
12:30 - 1:15 Goal Setters GRADE 3 Lunch Bunch
2:25 - 3 Classroom Counseling - Mrs. Coster Grade 1 - What Tadoo video
These principles are what we use to guide our collaborative efforts in creating a firm foundation for our school community based upon the Six Pillars of Character.
Briefly, these principles are:
- The school community promotes core ethical and performance values as the foundation of good character.
- The school defines “character” comprehensively to include thinking, feeling, and doing.
- The school uses a comprehensive, intentional, and proactive approach to character development.
- The school creates a caring community.
- The school provides students with opportunities for moral action.
- The school offers a meaningful and challenging academic curriculum that respects all learners, develops their character, and helps them to succeed.
- The school fosters students’ self-motivation.
- The school staff is an ethical learning community that shares responsibility for character education and adheres to the same core values that guide the students.
- The school fosters shared leadership and long-range support of the character education initiative.
- The school engages families and community members as partners in the character-building effort.
- The school regularly assesses its culture and climate, the functioning of its staff as character educators, and the extent to which its students manifest good character.
These 11 principles are the goals of Chris Yung Elementary School and our community as we work together to form new traditions, incentives, and a positive school climate within our school culture.
Bet you didn't know there were 11 of them!
CHARACTER EDUCATION ARTICLES, LINKS, AND RESOURCES
Teaching Good Citizenship - Five Themes
Tips for Creating a Culture of Kindness in Your School
The Responsive Classroom - Why is everyone so nice in here?
WEBSITES and LINKS
Awesome Blog by Barbara Gruener
Have a great week, everyone!