Settlement in Texas
Where they lived
Every year in July, the lavish Ommegang procession commemorates the tribute paid to Emperor Charles V and his VIP guests. Richly-colored costumes, horses, embroidered banners, flag throwing and stilt jousting - this big event inevitably ends in general funtion all around the Grand Place.
Carnival de Binche
For 3 days in February the town of Binche is transported back to the 16th century for a fantastic festival. Highlighted by music parades and fireworks, the peak of this event is when the Gilles appear on the Grand Place and throw oranges to the spectators. This infamous festivity has been classified by UNESCO along with its renowned Gilles.
This spectacular event takes place in March and is highlighted by the Blanc Moussi, which means ‘clad in white.’ Beginning on Sunday, the Blancs Moussis wander the streets of the town putting up their irreverent posters. In the afternoon they step out from the houses while staying on their floats and shower the crowds with confetti while flogging them with pork bladders.
The Zinneke parade, also known as Big Z-Day, has been appearing annually on the streets of Brussels since the year 2000. It is a street opera of music, choreography, costumes and floats - all done without combustion engines or deafening music.
1.Who was Princess Carlota?
2. What festival do they throw oranges to the spectators?
3. Where did the Belgians first when the came to Texas?
4. Why did the Belgians Come to Texas?
Affect on Texas
Evidence of the Belgians Today
Is Texas Better of with Immigration
- "Belgium Flag." Belgium Flag. N.p., 3 Apr. 2003. Web. 08 Feb. 2013. <http://www.1000flags.co.uk/belgium-flag-560-p.asp>.
- "Belgium Flag Map - Belgium Maps." MapsofNet. N.p., 3 June 2004. Web. 08 Feb. 2013. <http://mapsof.net/map/belgium-flag-map>.
- "Texas Coastal Bend." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 27 Jan. 2013. Web. 19 Feb. 2013. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Coastal_Bend>.
- "Texas Partners in Flight." TPWD:. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Feb. 2013. <http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/birding/pif/assist/pif_regions/>
- "The Belgian Texans." :: Institute of Texan Cultures Publications Collection. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Feb. 2013. <http://digital.utsa.edu/cdm/ref/collection/p16018coll6/id/258>.