Chapter 5.4 Origin and Diffusion
Languages diffusion from their place of place of origin through migration.
Dialects within languages also emerge through migration and isolation.
People that helped diffuse English
The vikings help diffuse English between 787 and 1171 from Norway by adding words to the language.
The Saxons from 450 from Germany and southern Denmark. English people are often named after them.
Celtic Tribes came about to England around 2000 Bc.
Origin and Diffusion of Indo-European: "War" Hypothesis
- The orgininated and the process and routes by which it diffused
- The first Indo-European speakers may have been the kurgan people,who lived near the border of Russia.
Origin and Diffusion of Indo-European: "Peace" Hypothsesis
- The archaeologist Colin renfrew argues that the first Indo-European speakers lived 2,000 years befor the kurgans.
- European migrate into Europe and south Asia
Origin and Diffusion of English
- The Celts spoke languages classified as Celtic.
- Norway land on the Southest coast of England on the northest coast of England and raided sevrael settlements there.
Language: Crash Course Psychology #16