National Nutrition Month!
Solana Beach School District is excited to celebrate National Nutrition month in our schools this year! It is a great compliment to our Child Nutrition Initiative which provides us with our delicious, healthy school lunches.
National Nutrition Month is a nutrition education campaign celebrated annually in March. Our goal in SBSD is to celebrate National Nutrition month and eating healthy at school and home. The theme for 2017 is "Put Your Best Fork Forward", a message to our students and families that each bite counts!
Fun Ways to Celebrate National Nutrition Month at Home
- Harvest of the Month for March - Snap Peas!
- Have you read our Harvest of the Month newsletter? It has recipe ideas and fun facts based on the featured produce item. The Harvest of the Month item is also featured on the menu twice a month.
- Community Newsletter, Peas
- Community Newsletter (Spanish), Peas
- Did you know? A ½ cup of peas (fresh or cooked) is an excellent source of vitamin K. This vitamin helps stop cuts and scrapes from bleeding too much and starts the healing process. Peas are also a good source of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, and thiamin.
- Try a new recipe!
- After-School Snack Energy Bars are nutritious and easy to make!
- Jicama Apple Slaw is a fun new twist on jicama. The kids love the jicama currently featured weekly on the SBSD salad bars for lunch.
- Spicy Turkey Chili Pitas
- The Everyday Healthy Meals Cookbook is filled with great recipes for you and your children.
- Activity Sheets & Games for you and your children
- Tips and Activities for Families & Communities
- Kids Activity Sheets
- Online Interactive Games to make nutrition fun!
- FREE Team Nutrition MyPlate eBooks
- Dairy Council Free Resources including games and activity sheets
- Educate yourself and learn about the New Nutrition Facts Label by watching this video.
We hope that you will enjoy celebrating National Nutrition Month with your family! We are excited to celebrate at CDC too.
PRESCHOOL SPRING FLING!
Please join us on Friday, April 7th, at 3:30 for our annual Spring Fling - a celebration of children's songs! Your sons and daughters have been working hard making costumes and learning songs. Please join us after the Spring Fling for celebrations in your child's classroom.