Blue Valley North's Parent Newsletter - January 7, 2022
In this Newsletter …
A Letter from Your Principal
Canvas Update & Final Grades
BVN Bell Schedules
Mark Your Calendar
Girls State and Boys State
Durham Bus Information
New Winter Activity Guide
The Mustang Club (former PBC)
A Letter from Your Principal
Hello Mustang Community,
I hope you all had a great winter break and we are excited to kickstart the 2nd semester. While we are back together, it is important to stay diligent as COVID numbers continue to rise. This week, Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) provided school districts updated guidance following new guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Positive Cases: Individuals with COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days from the date of the positive test result or beginning of symptoms. Students/staff who are symptom-free may return to school wearing a mask for days 6-10.
- JCDHE Contact Tracing: Recognizing that intensive contact tracing within schools is no longer feasible given high levels of community spread, JCDHE is focusing efforts on infected individuals. This means Blue Valley will no longer be providing JCDHE close contact information and JCDHE will no longer notify staff/students if they are a close contact from a school exposure.
I know that you likely also have questions about mitigation efforts and available resources. On the district’s COVID-19 web page, you can find information about masking, testing and more.
- Personal Health Assessments: Students and staff are encouraged to remain diligent in conducting a personal health assessment each day. Individuals that suspect they are ill (i.e. fever, chills, cough, etc.) and are not feeling well should stay home.
- Masks: Masks are optional for grades 9 and above, including staff and visitors. If the total percentage of positive cases and exclusions at a high school building rises above 3 percent, masking requirements will return for a minimum of 2 weeks. JCDHE recommends well-fitted, filtering masks such as a KN95.
- COVID-19 Testing: MAWD Labs is offering a local COVID-19 testing option for students, staff and their family members. Test results are typically available within 12-16 hours. More information about MAWD COVID-19 Drive-In Testing is available on the district website.
- Test to Stay: In the event individuals are identified and contacted directly by JCDHE for quarantine, students/staff have the option to “Test to Stay and Learn” and remain at work/school. More information about Test to Stay is available on the district website.
Please let us know if you have any questions regarding these mitigation efforts. We will all work together to make this a great second half of the school year!
Have a great weekend,
Canvas Update, Final Exam Scores and Grades in ParentVue
End of Semester Information
At the end of the day on Tuesday, December 21st, courses in Canvas will conclude and will no longer be visible on the Canvas Parent app. A concluded course is only visible through the Canvas Website. To view concluded courses, open Canvas in a web browser, log in, and click on the Courses tab. Click View All Courses and scroll down to find the past enrollments. Access Past Enrollment guide (Video tutorial)
Final exam scores and other individual assignment grades can be viewed in Canvas. Semester grades reports will be published in ParentVUE on January 12th.
Need some help?
Blue Valley has a variety of resources available for parent support on the district’s Canvas web page, www.bluevalleyk12.org/canvas.
Counseling, Academics & Testing (updates)
Click Here For BVN's Counseling Webpage for information about:
- 2nd semester schedule changes - students wanting to change a class may follow the procedure outlined here - https://bvusd.instructure.com/courses/76177/pages/schedule-changes. The deadline to request a change is January 11, 2021 at 3:00pm. After this time, only level changes and drops to a study hall will be allowed.
- Senior parents must submit the Diploma and Transcript Authorization Form before the school is able to send transcripts to colleges for your student.
- Junior College Planning Information here - College and Career Planning
- Visit the Counseling Virtual Calming Room
- Visit the Counseling Home Page to find additional resources or contact information for Counselors and other Student Services staff.
Questions? Contact Sarah King @ (913)239-3016 or SKing@bluevalleyk12.org .
How to Have a Mental Health Check-In with Your Teen
BVN Bell Schedules ~ North Time cancelled on Fridays
When there are five days in the school week, the Bell Schedule will be Odd, Even, Odd, Even, Traditional Day. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday, school begins at 7:40 a.m. On Tuesday and Thursday, school begins at 8:25 a.m. (see below). If you want a copy for home, ask your student to stop by the BVN main office. It's also posted on the BVN website. When there are schedule changes due to a shortened school week, during finals, etc., it will be announced in North Notes and listed on the EKL calendar, BVN’s school calendar.
Update: On Tuesday & Thursday, North Time is now called Academic Support Time (AST).
Here is a link to the Bell Schedule which is on the BVN website: BVNBELLSCHEDULE .
Mark Your Calendar
January 17: NO SCHOOL/Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
January 19: 8th Grade Enrollment Night (see flyer for details)
January 29: The Mustang Club Buckaroo Bash Fundraiser
February 14-17: Parent-Teacher Conferences
February 18: NO SCHOOL/due after school conferences
February 21: NO SCHOOL/Presidents' Day
March 11: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
March 14-18: NO SCHOOL/Spring Break
March 21: NO SCHOOL/Professional Learning
Upcoming All School Events
All BVN events, activities, sporting events and additional calendar adjustments are found on the EKL calendar: www.easternkansasleague.org
Please take a look through the BVN Mustang Club's Winter Activity Guide! Here is a link to the on-line edition: https://anyflip.com/qzkqi/xqsn/
This is a great way to see photos of the athletic teams, activities & performing arts students, find out more about their coaches and directors, and read a greeting from the BVN Principal & the Mustang Club Presidents. Please take time to see the advertisements from our corporate partners and give them your business whenever possible. We thank them for their support of the Mustang Club and our Blue Valley North students. Enjoy!
NHS Parent and Student Meeting for Prospective Members (new)
Does your current sophomore (2024) or junior (2023) have a 3.5 or higher GPA? Are they interested in learning about National Honor Society? There is a student and parent meeting on Thursday January 20th at 6:30pm in the PAC. Please attend to learn about NHS pillars and requirements. Have students bring a computer so they are able to log onto x2VOL, our online service hour tracking platform.
Fostering A Safe School Environment
Blue Valley Schools is committed to promoting and fostering a safe environment in and around all of our schools. Through the convergence of physical and intellectual security measures, we are continuously working to prevent, mitigate, respond to and recover from a wide range of emergencies. Please check out available ways to report safety concerns.
BV Career Ready Programs
The Career Ready Programs department is offering several exciting opportunities for Blue Valley students to earn college credit at little to NO cost to families through Johnson County Community College (JCCC). Students can earn an associate degree OR career-ready certification in high-demand, high paying fields. Areas include: Automotive Technology, Culinary & Hospitality, Cybersecurity, Electrician Technology, Electronic Technology, Emergency Management & Fire Science, HVAC, Nail Technology, Plumbing, and Welding/Metal Fabrication.
The information shared at these sessions will be most relevant for current sophomore and junior students and parents/guardians. We invite you to attend one of our community-wide family informational sessions in January:
January 19, 2022: Learn more about the Dual Degree option and how to earn your associate degree AND your Blue Valley diploma at the same time! Join us at the JCCC Student Center lobby at 6:30 p.m.
January 25, 2022: Learn more about the Emergency Management & Fire Science program from our partners at the Overland Park Fire Department (OPFD) at the OPFD Training Center at 12401 Hemlock at 6:30 p.m.
January 27, 2022: Learn more about the career ready certification programs in the JCCC CTEC building lobby at 6:30 P.M. We will hear from JCCC Deans, Department Chairs, and Blue Valley students currently enrolled in these programs.
Questions? Please visit the Blue Valley Career Ready Programs website at https://www.bluevalleyk12.org/domain/5605 or please feel free to reach out to Sarah Beren, Liaison to JCCC for Blue Valley Career Ready Programs, at 913-239-4141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student ID Cards and Student/Family Activity Passes
If you've recently purchased a Student or Family Activity Pass or an Adult Individual Activity pass, you can have your student see Mrs. Miller in the Student Services office to request the cards.
Are you moving? Have you moved?
Please contact the BVN Registrar, Suzy Doherty, by email at email@example.com .
8th Grade Enrollment Night Info (new)
Track and Field Team
BVN Track and Field pre-season workouts will take place after the new year at BVN. Please look over the PowerPoint for training info CLICK HERE. The workouts are 100% optional but will be beneficial for the upcoming season.
Please sign up for the Spond App. Anyone can join this group for track and field info by using the link https://group.spond.com/UGXMK
Any questions, students should see Coach Fancher, after school, in Mobile 1.
Girls' Softball is a spring sport, and pre-season conditioning has begun. The schedule is Tuesday & Thursday at 7:00 a.m., and Wednesdays at 6:45 a.m.! Please reach out to Coach Stevie if you have questions: firstname.lastname@example.org .
If you have questions, contact Teresa Anderson, BVN Assistant to the Athletic Director, at 913-239-3011 or by email, email@example.com .
Senior Information for the Class of 2022
Save the date for 2022 Graduation: Sunday, May 22, at 7 p.m. at the District Activity Center, 13310 Switzer, Overland Park, Kansas 66213. Rain date is Wednesday, May 25 at 6 p.m. There are no tickets required and there is no limit on seating.
Senior Info page: Click HERE to access:
- A link to let us know how you want your senior's name printed on his/her diploma, along with authorizing the release of your student's transcript for college applications
- A link to order your cap & gown for graduation, plus info about shipping schedule
- Mr. Beck, our Balfour rep, will be back at North to collect cap & gown orders during lunch on Thursday, January 20
We will update the Canvas page as new info becomes available.
Questions? Contact BVN Activities: Lisa Miller @ firstname.lastname@example.org .
BOYS STATE 2022 JUNE 5-11! “Boys State is a practical opportunity to learn leadership skills through role play civic exercise.” Applications are available for high school sophomores and juniors to attend Boys State 2022. You can find more information at https://ksbstate.org/. Boys State will take place on the Kansas State University campus. If cost is an issue, please contact the KS Boys State Main Office (see FAQs). Questions? Contact Catie Bosch, email@example.com .
COVID Close Contact Options updated (new)
Is Your Child Sick? Please read on....
Winter, colds, flu, and other viruses often come together. Germs from colds and other illnesses make their way into our workplaces, schools, and homes. If you have a child who is sick, we ask for your support by keeping them at home. District protocol requires students stay home until they are fever free for a period of 24 hours and or at least 24 hours since symptom resolution. If your child has been diagnosed by a physician with Influenza, please keep them home for five days following onset of illness or for the duration of illness if the case is immune compromised.
As you know, the health of our students is important to us. Thank you for your continued partnership as we work together to keep our kids healthy and in school.
School Nurse Information and Clinic Hours
The Nurse's office is open M – F: 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. It closes for lunch 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. except in the case of an emergency. Nurse Amanda Collichio is available to assist students with their health needs, first-aid and medical conditions. For help, contact Nurse Amanda at (913) 239-3013 or AJCollichio@bluevalleyk12.org .
Prescription Meds at BVN - Action Needed
This is reminder to parents: All prescription medications must be accompanied by this written authorization from a physician or other person licensed to prescribe medications, for the administration of that medication at school. All prescription medications to be administered at school must be in their original containers with the label intact. Students shouldn’t be self-carrying unlabeled prescription medications or any prescription medications. Questions? Email Nurse Amanda Collichio at firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOCO COVID-19 Updates
Please follow this link to the Johnson County COVID-19 website for current information.
COVID-19 Testing and Resources for BV Staff, Students and Families
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs is offering a local COVID-19 testing option that is available for students, staff and their family members. This option is available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic Info (update)
Throughout this school year, Blue Valley’s priorities have been the safety of our students and keeping students in school and in-person as we know this is critical to their long-term success and well-being. MAWD Labs offers a local COVID-19 testing option available through a Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) grant provided directly to MAWD Labs.
Online Registration for MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic (new)
The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic now has the ability to accept online registrations.
- Create an online account for parent/guardian. Please note that to login into the account in the future, username is the parent/guardian email address.
- Complete form for child needing COVID-19 testing and submit.
- Add additional family members by clicking Add Individual.
- Receive a QR code via email for each family member needing testing. Keep this code as it will need to be shown upon arrival for each appointment.
- Call (913) 239-4371 to make an appointment for a specific time for testing.
MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic: 14950 Newton Drive, Overland Park, KS 66223 (Northwest of CAPS on the Blue Valley School District Campus)
- Hours of Operation (Closed during Winter Break)
- Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- Friday 8 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Closed: Dec. 22 - Jan. 3
- Open: Jan. 4 from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- The MAWD Drive-In Testing Clinic will be closed whenever school is cancelled for inclement weather.
Additional information about MAWD’s Drive-In Testing Clinic is available on the district website. General COVID-19 resources from Johnson County Department of Health and Environment, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy can be found on the district website.
Blue Valley families can find a variety of COVID-19 resources on the district website including general COVID-19 information, community testing locations and vaccine information from Children’s Mercy.
Durham Bus Riders (updated)
Durham will continue to transport our bus riders in the 2021-22 school year. If you have questions, please call Durham at 913-681-2492. The best time to call is between 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. when more staff are available to answer questions.
Durham Bus Services has three helpful tools for families with bus riders. Registration is required each year for families as bus routes and participants change:
- Bus Tracker: The Blue Valley Durham location will be using the Bus Tracker mobile app that is available for iOS and Android devices. To use the app, users will create an account that is tied to an email address of the user’s choice. The tool will allow account users to follow the route of a specific bus. Durham is updating daily when a scheduled backup bus is being used for a planned maintenance activity. If a bus is replaced with a quick turnaround due to an unforeseen event, Durham dispatch will make the switch on Bus Tracker at their next opportunity to update the app.
- Text Messaging: Families are still encouraged to sign up for Durham Text Messaging. The system is designed to share the “why” as Bus Tracker is designed to tell the “where”. To sign up for Durham Text Messaging visit www.bluevalleydurham.com.
- E-Link: Allows for verification of a student’s transportation information (i.e., stop location, bus # and pick-up and drop off times) based on the input of grade and home address. To access E-Link, go to www.bluevalleydurham.com.
Please Join The Mustang Club 2021-22!
After looking through the Fall Activity Guide, we hope you will be inspired to join The Mustang Club (the former BVN Parent Booster Club).
It financially supports BVN's extracurricular activities (similar to a PTO/PTA), and over the last 6 years, has granted over a half million dollars to support our school’s extracurricular activities, organizations, and athletic teams. We could not provide the depth and breadth of opportunities without your help through memberships and donations of your time.
The Mustang Club needs your support! Membership is down and volunteers are in short supply. Here are some options for you to consider:
· Become a Mustang Club member at one of the five membership levels;
· Purchase spirit wear from The Mustang Club website (www.bvnmustangs.com);
· Volunteer on a Mustang Club committee to support a specific event or cause. We specifically need a VP of Activities and a President Elect.
· Take advantage of sponsorships for companies wanting to support BVN financially.
Thank you for your support and consideration and GO MUSTANGS!
SAVE THE Date - Buckaroo Bash January 29, 2022
You will not want to miss the biggest and best parent party in the Blue Valley School District! This fundraising event is a massive support for our students, and our hope is that this year’s event is an even bigger success than the last Bash, at which we made almost $28,000 to support our kids’ activities!
We are Mustang Proud!
North Notes is published most Fridays during the school year. North Notes is a newsletter for the parents and students of Blue Valley North High School. If you have questions, please contact Janet Roush, Assistant to the Principal, at JRoush@bluevalleyk12.org .
BVN Main Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m., Monday - Friday
The BVN Offices will be closed from December 22 - January 3 due to Winter Break.