Learning English Through Hip Hop
and Hip Hop Through English
BACK IN THE DAY Questions
As you read this section, answer the questions listed below. At the end of the reading your ASSIGNMENT is to do a mini research project on one of the artists in the article. More details on that later...
2) During the Civil Rights Movement, The Last Poets spoke out against what?
3) Watch this video to find out more about the Civil Rights Movement. Why might such a movement inspire the early roots of hip-hop culture?
4) Check out the song The Revolution Will Not Be Televised that is mentioned in the article. What are your thoughts on it? Were there any images you felt were strange or shocking in the video?
5) What was the FIRST ELEMENT that helped hip hop take shape? Why?
6) What was the SECOND ELEMENT?
7) Why was hip hop invented?
8) What was the THIRD ELEMENT?
9) Check out the styles of dance in the videos below. Are there any similarities to today's dance styles?
Then you'll write a short report on this person. Specifically you should look for:
- where he is from
- what he is known for
- the messages he gives in his lyrics
- who influenced him
- and share a sample of his lyrics
The above questions can be answered by copying information from the internet, but your final report MUST be in your own words.