by Jacob Harris
What the Heck is Personification?
Personification is a figure of speech in which an object or animal is given human
feelings, thoughts, or attitudes.
Well How's That Different From Anthropomorphism?
- Some sources claim they're the same thing
- HOWEVER there is a difference
- Anthropomorphism is less abstract and usually deals with animate objects
- Personification deals with more abstract human concepts
- Ex-Mother Nature vs Yogi Bear
- More appropriate to say anthrop. is a type of personification
Why Use It?
- Forms a connection between the reader and object
- Makes descriptions more vivid
- Invokes emotional reactions of used correctly
- The leaves danced gracefully on the wind
- The cold morning air nipped playfully at my cheeks.
- The old, abandoned sweater sulked gloomily on its spot on the coat rack.
- The trees greater us as they lazily waved back and forth in the wind
Audience Participation Time!
"Examples of Personification." YourDictionary. N.p., n.d. Web. 01 Oct. 2014.
"Personification - Definition and Examples of Personification." Literary Devices. N.p., n.d.
Web. 30 Sept. 2014. http://literarydevices.net/personification/.
"Personification." Merriam-Webster. Merriam-Webster, n.d. Web. 01 Oct. 2014.