We Are Together Tamanend!
April 14, 2014
March Boomerang Honoree
We are honored to share Tamanend's Boomerang Honoree for February's Asset, Self-Esteem, Jen B. The growth in Jen from 7th to 9th grade is astounding, transformation from a shy and quiet 7th grader to a lead actress in our school musical this year. Jen belted out her songs with great pride, showing the rest of the cast how to perform with confidence. Her part required her to sing two solos that demonstrated sophistication. She performed them both in voice and in acting, brilliantly. Jen emerged as a leader of the cast, motivating her peers to do their best. Jen’s self-esteem carries over to the classroom where she volunteers with a positive attitude modeling for others how to interact with each other. She’s willing to take risks and not concerned with always being right. She is poised and carries herself in a mature manner. She’s sweet, sensitive, and kind to all. Jen, congratulations on this recognition, and thank you for being a model of self-esteem for all of us at Tamanend.
Pictured above, Mrs. Leatherbarrow with Jen B. and her parents. Pictured above and to the right, a few of the students who were nominated for Boomerang in March.
By Mrs. Tosti
Last night, the Tamanend String Ensemble joined 150 other CB string students to perform with the international electric string quartet, String Fever. The students got to work with the quartet, ask questions, learn about their electric instruments, and pose for pictures and get autographs after the show. The students worked really hard to memorize the two songs that they played with the talented British gents.
This Month's Boomerang Asset from CB Cares
April's Boomerang Asset is #25 Reading for Pleasure: Young person reads for pleasure most days of the week, either alone, with family members, or with friends.
Please take a moment to complete the online nomination form for a Tamanend student who demonstrates Reading for Pleasure. Nominations are due April 18th.
Plan for Excitement this Summer
Tamanend Middle School PSSA:
- Science Tests: April 29-30
The best way to prepare for test days (and all school days) is for students to get a good night's sleep, eat a healthy breakfast, bring a bottle of water and a snack to school. Students should have two #2 pencils for the tests. Students should not bring their phone or any other personal electronic devices to school on testing days. Cell phones and all other personal electronic devices are prohibited by the state during testing. Students often forget that they have phones on them, that is why we ask that students do not bring them to school AT ALL during testing days. Thank you for your support.
Keystone Algebra I Test Dates: May 20 & 22
Report Card Day: April 23
Tamanend Middle School Parent Council-LAST ONE
Thursday, April 24th, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
Parent Council is an open meeting where all parents are welcome to attend to learn more about Tamanend Middle School.
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target's Take Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Note, each year you need to reselect Tamanend so that your shopping benefites TMS.
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Got R.o A.R.?
Jeremy B. was recognized by Mrs. McDonald for his Respect, Achievement, and Responsibility.
Tiger Track Winner
Mrs. Gamble recognized Chris M. for his Achievement.
Mrs. Vitacco recognized Julia D. for her Respect, Achievement, and Responsibility.
Notes from Previous Tamanend Connections:
- The Freshman Day and Dance date has been moved to June 13th in response to our adjusted calendar.
- Click here for up-to-date calendar information about both the 2013-14 and the 2014-15 school years.
- There is a Parent Portal app for your smartphone. Click here for more information.
- Click here to view previous Tamanend Connections from 2013-2014.
- For information about Tamanend's 2013-2014 Yearbook, click here.
- We frequently conduct safety drills here at Tamanend Middle School to ensure that our students are prepared for various types of emergencies. It is important that your student dresses appropriately for weather, including shoe choices.
- Because the Parent Portal allows parents/guardians to check student progress on a regular basis, we will no longer print and send home interim progress reports. We encourage all parents/guardians to log in and check the Parent Portal on a weekly basis. Parents have access to current grades, assignments, attendance, and more.
- Students may not arrive to school in the morning until 7:10 AM. That is when staff members are available to supervise students.
- Parent Volunteers Needed! Please sign up using our online form. Code word = tms.
- Click here to learn about CBSD efforts against bullying and for resources helpful to parents on this important subject and more.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- To receive text alerts from CBSD, click here.