2017-2018 Parent Newsletter
September 29, 2017 - Issue #8
- Ms. De Silva
- Ms. Cook
- Mrs. Rowin
- Mrs. Ballard
- Mrs. Outlaw (100)
- Ms. Gase (100)
- Mrs. Walker
Our school-wide total is 3050! That means we met our goal BEFORE the end of the nine weeks, so let's keep raising our campus total!
Grade Level Totals:
First Grade: 850
Second Grade: 850
Third Grade: 450
G/T Fall Referrals for Students in Grades 1-12 are due Monday, October 2nd!
Welcome Mrs. Shoaf!
2017 Bond Election Information
LVISD will have presentations about the bond on October 5 and 16 in Viking Hall at 6:00. A third presentation will be on October 11, at 7:00 in the PAC, presentation will be before the Candidates Night debate.
- The amount of bond is $2.9 million.
- Will taxes increase? No, the tax rate will remain the same $1.32
- What is the bond for? HVAC replacements, transportation needs, technology needs, maintenance equipment, and service road repair.
- How long will it take to pay off the bond? The bond will be paid off in 6 years.
- Will we have to send any of the bond money back to the state? No, LVISD will be able to keep 100% of the money.
Please check out the flyer attached to the email for more information regarding this bond.
Write The Check Fundraiser
Fall Festival News
Plans are well underway for the Fall Family Festival so be sure to mark your calendars for Friday, Nov. 3rd from 5pm to 8pm.
Details will be forthcoming soon!
Committee Volunteers are now needed – if interested, please email Becky Richardson at email@example.com.
Order here online:
School code: 13030118 OR enter Texas, Lago Vista.
We are also looking for yearbook photo submissions. You can never send to many! You may email them to firstname.lastname@example.org subject title. If you are on a time crunchy, send a quick email and we will provide a dropbox link to drop to the photos to or a phone number to text them to.
We are currently looking for the following pictures: Meet the teacher, 1st day of school, random school/lunch pictures, Pep Rallies, football/sport player classroom meeting, Viking Spirit Friday's, college Wednesdays, crazy sock day, crazy hair day, neon day, pajama day, grandparents lunch, Watch DOG pictures. Keep us in mind through out the year when creating memories, send them our way! Thank you!
Any questions regarding yearbook should be sent to LVESyearbook@gmail.com
COLLEGE DAY IS EVERY WEDNESDAY...WEAR YOUR FAVORITE COLLEGE SHIRT!
2nd grade students work collaboratively to sort words according to prefixes, suffixed and root words.
3rd grade scientists use an anemometer while recording different types of tools used in science.
3rd grade students explore dictionaries donated by North Shore Republicans. Students then wrote thank you letters using appropriate conventions.
Ms. Patty Hahn - Music Teacher
1. Where are you from originally?
I was born in Kentucky but I have lived in six different states since then. I have lived in Texas the longest, 26 years in fact so I guess that makes me a Texan. I don't know what took me so long to get here.
2. When did you start teaching music?
I started teaching music in 1988. I taught for 10 years, took 10 years off to be a stay-at-home mom and have been teaching again for the past 10 years. This is my 21st year teaching music.
3. Tell us about your family...
I have two awesome kids. A daughter named Emily that is 18 and a son named Ryan that is 20. Both are attending college. I have two dogs, Bella and Daisy. They are very cute and love to snuggle.
4. What are your favorite hobbies and favorite instrument?
My favorite instrument is the Classical Guitar. I love listening to music and going to live shows.
5. What is your favorite part about your job?
I get to share my love of music with my students.
By the way, my favorite insect is the Lady Bug :)
Mrs. Nikki Raley - Paraprofessional
1. How long have you worked in Lago Vista?
This is my fourth school year at LVES
2. Where are you from originally?
Chicago, Illinois (it's an amazing city to visit but Texas is my home)
3. Tell us about your family...
My husband of 19 years, Rich and I have 2 children. My daughter Reese is in 8th grade. She has a passion for acting. She has been acting since she was 5. My son Tucker is in 6th grade. He loves baseball and competing for the best grade in the class. We live in Point Venture where we enjoy everything about living the lake life.
4. What are your favorite hobbies?
My hobbies include boating, decorating and remodeling my family home.
5. What is your favorite part of your job?
My favorite part of my job is problem solving. I love being given the opportunity to come up with strategies that help every student thrive along side their peers.
Character Trait of the Month - Respect
- Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule;
- Be tolerant and accepting of differences;
- Use good manners, not bad manners;
- Be considerate of the feelings of others;
- Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone;
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements.
Students will learn more about Respect in Guidance with Mrs. Sexton!
Hello LVES Families! As we are wrapping up our lessons on the character trait of Responsibility, I have enjoyed hearing from the students about the responsibilities they have at home, and love seeing their excitement when they realize all the things they can do at home, school, with friends, and in their community to show that they are responsible and dependable young people!
As I mentioned in an earlier post, this year we have set a goal for Lago Vista Elementary to become a designated No Place for Hate campus! This is also a district-wide initiative known as “Project Vinátta,” as Vinátta is the Viking term for friendship. So we will be doing campus-wide activities to promote kindness, tolerance, and respect for all in order to combat prejudice, bullying, and hatred. We have formed a student coalition of 3rd grade boys and girls who will be helping to plan and implement activities the whole campus will get to be involved with.
Please feel free to email your thoughts to email@example.com. If you would like more information about the “No Place for Hate” campaign, please visit: http://austin.adl.org/noplaceforhate/
Thank you very much!
“Here are the values that I stand for: honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you want to be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values.” ~Ellen DeGeneres
Weekly Attendance Goal
Weekly Attendance for week of September 28th:
- 94.81%- We did not meet our goal this week, but will try again next week!
Grade Level Totals:
First Grade: 95.09%
Second Grade: 95.46%
Third Grade: 97.06% - Fantastic job - met our weekly goal for the 3rd week in a row!
Lago Vista Elementary PTO Facebook
Christine Harris, Administrative Assistant
Registration and Attendance:
Veronica Fidencio, Registrar/Attendance Clerk
Student Emotional Support:
Amy Sexton, Counselor
Kimberly Latham-Whitehead, School Nurse
Discipline and School Improvement:
Michelle Jackson, Principal
Eric Holt, Assistant Principal
Bus Routes and Transportation:
Jay Powell, Director of Transportation
(512) 267-8300, ext. 1508
Mark Your Calendars...
- October 4th: PTO Meeting, 5:00 pm in Community Room
- October 9th: Student Holiday/Staff Development
- October 13th: Football Players, Cheerleaders Visit
- October 13th: 1st Grade goes to LVHS Pep Rally
- October 13th: Running of the Vikings
- October 18th: Fall Pictures
- October 23rd-27th: Red Ribbon Week - daily themes coming soon
- October 25th: Fall G/T Parent Meeting, 6:30-7:30 in Viking Hall
- October 26th: Transportation Changes for Early Release due on or before 4:00 pm
- October 27th: Early Release at 11:30 am - No transportation changes are accepted on Early Release days
- October 27th: Parent Teacher Fall Conferences - be on the lookout for sign ups from teachers coming soon
- October 27th: Football Players, Cheerleaders Visit
- October 31st: Pumpkin Character Gallery Walk
- November 1st: Perfect Attendance (K-3) and Honor Roll (3rd Grade) Recognition during lunches