Oxford Host Families
Information & Updates for October 2015
It's October, and both Oxford College and our local communities are in full swing with activities that mark the change of season. Opportunities abound for experiencing the autumnal splendor of the Southeast and beloved American fall traditions like pumpkin carving and trick-or-treating.
Family Weekend, October 23-25
Family Weekend is a weekend-long event in which families join their students on-campus. Because most international students' families will not be participating, your student may feel especially sensitive to homesickness this weekend. This would be an ideal weekend to invite your student for an off-campus outing or to join him or her on-campus for one of the weekend's planned activities. See the complete list of Family Weekend activities here.
The following are upcoming events taking place on campus that may be helpful to know for making plans with your student.
- Midnight Madness, October 14, 10 pm - The campus will celebrate our student athletes and kick off the basketball season with a rousing pep rally.
- Southern Circuit Film Series: Shield and Spear, October 21, 7:30 pm - FREE. Learn more here.
- Fall Play, Wit, October 22-25 - $5 admission, evening and matinee. Learn more here.
- Family Weekend 5k Run, October 24, 8 am - Oxford's Center for Healthful Living is partnering with the Michael J. Fox Foundation to host a 5K run. Proceeds will go toward the foundation's support of Parkinson's research. Challenge your student to a friendly competition.
Violin Concert: William Fitzpatrick, October 25, 4 pm - Email Dr. Maria Archetto at firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Author Reading and Discussion, Class of '65, A True Story of Race, Religion, and Reconciliation, October 26, 7:30 pm - Learn more here.
- Lecture: Ellen Spears, Baptized in PCBs: Race, Pollution and Justice in an All-American Town, October 28, 7:30 pm - Learn more here.
Thanksgiving Break Campus Closure
Oxford College will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday from November 25-29. All international students will be approved to remain on-campus in the residence halls during the break, but they must apply online for approval. Our Residential Education & Services office will be emailing the approval form in the coming week; the deadline to apply is November 16. The dining facilities, library, and gym will be closed during the break.
If you or your student have questions about remaining on campus during the break, please contact us at OxISP@emory.edu.
Save the Date
- November 5, Night Market, Lil's Dining Hall - Presented annually by the Chinese Student Association, this is one of the biggest student group events at Oxford.
- January 16, Host Family Pot Luck & Family Game Day, Rathskeller, 11 am - 2 pm - Join other host families and students for a pot luck lunch and some friendly board game competition. Hope to see you there. More details coming soon.