Copyright Designs and Patents Act
When you buy software, for example, copyright law forbids you from:
-giving a copy to a friend
-making a copy and then selling it
-using the software on a network (unless the licence allows it)
-renting the software without the permission of the copyright holder
The legal penalties for copyright infringement are:
- Infringer pays the actual dollar amount of damages and profits.
- The law provides a range from $200 to $150,000 for each work infringed.
- Infringer pays for all attorneys fees and court costs.
- The Court can issue an injunction to stop the infringing acts.
- The Court can impound the illegal works.
- The infringer can go to jail.