News From RStar512
Week of October 22nd
Want to Recognize A Staff Member?!
APEX Fun Run is HERE!
What is the APEX Fun Run?
The Apex Fun Run is the ONLY “fun”raiser for this semester at Rising Star! Spring will bring back the Bingo Bash and Silent Auction! No selling chocolate, cookie dough or gift wrap!!! Woo Hoo!
The Apex leadership lessons teach the kids to be Apex Strong:Selfless, Trustworthy, Refuel, Overcome, Next level and Grateful!
When is the Fun Run?
We have 2 race schedules (Outdoor & Indoor Rain) for the Apex Fun Run on Friday, October 26th. Please consider signing up to volunteer to mark laps or pass out water at the water station!
What if it rains?
In the event of inclement weather, we will move the race indoors. The decision will be made on 10/25.
Can I come to the Fun Run?
Absolutely! Bring your signs and noisemakers to cheer on your racer! Or better yet, volunteer to help mark student laps! It’s a ton of fun and so easy!
Sign up to volunteer here ---> https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0d4daca729aa8-volunteer1
What is the Apex Fun Run Goal?
Our goal is $780/Lap. If we hit this goal, the PTA is able to fund Field Trips, Cultural Assemblies, Staff Appreciation and Supplies, Chat and Chew, Grand Luncheon AND... build a GAGA Ball pit on the playground for students!
How close are we to the Goal?
As of 11 a.m. on Friday - $430/lap!
What is difference between Pledges and Donations?
Pledge is a dollar amount that is paid after the Fun Run based on how many laps the student runs. Laps are capped at 36. So, if you pledge $1/lap, and they run:
- 20 laps - you will be charged $20
- 30 laps - charged $30
- 36 laps - charged $36
- 48 laps - charged $36 because laps are capped at 36.
Donations are flat dollar amounts. No amount is to small or too big!!
How do I share this?
Log on to www.myapexevent.com
Enter your student’s access code
Look for this Share Wizard - to view a phone script, email, text and share on Social media!
61% of the pledges so far have been from outside the school - Neighbors and friends - so the more you send the link out the better!
Click this button to help out in the Library and/or MakerSpace with Mr. Wilson!
Flu Like Symptoms?
New exclusion policies for Flu and Mumps
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment issued new requirements for Isolation and Quarantine of Infectious or Contagious Diseases.
New this year:
- Influenza: Physician diagnosed cases of influenza will be excluded from school attendance for 7 days following the onset of illness.
- Mumps: Students who have not received age appropriate immunization for mumps will be excluded from day 12 to day 25 after exposure to the infectious case. (In the past there was an opportunity for students to be immunized within 24 hours of being notified of exposure, it is now an automatic exclusion.).
MVP - Volunteer Support
As of September 24th, SMSD is NO longer requiring fingerprints.
- If you HAVE attended a training AND HAVE BEEN fingerprinted, you DO NOT need to do anything further.
- If you have ONLY done the training, BUT have not been fingerprinted please complete the form from the link below for your security clearance marked 2).
- If you HAVE NOT begun the MVP Volunteer process, please complete both 1) and 2).
The MVP process has changed. Two steps are now required to complete the MVP process:
1) Attend an in-person training.
- Visit https://www.smsd.org/families/volunteer-mvp for currently scheduled sessions.
- Note: Tuesday morning sessions at CAA require a reservation—seating is limited.
- Email email@example.com for more information.
Trainings will continue to take place every Tuesday at 9:30am at CAA
2) Visit Validity Screening to complete the online, background screening process. This information will be provided at the training.
- If you have already completed the required training, visit this link to complete the process.
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (913) 993-8750 for more information.
Make sure you have signed up through PeachJar to receive our digital flyers. This is how we distribute community flyers for upcoming events and information.
Chat & Chew Books & Dates
Books can be found in our Rising Star Library, in most teacher’s classrooms, at the Johnson County Library & of course on Amazon or in brick & mortar stores. If you choose to purchase the books for your student, please consider donating them at the end of the year so that we can have more copies available to lend out each year. Donated books can be given to Mr. Wilson in the library. Thank you!
*Chat & Chew Party: Those students who have read & attended at least 3 Chat & Chew book sessions are invited to bring their lunch & their favorite book to share with their peers.
(Chat & Chew is held in the classroom during the student’s lunch period)