Food-borne contaminants & Allergies
Serve Safe Chapter 2
What Bacteria Needs to grow
4 types of Pathogens that can contaminate food
3 types of Contaminants
- Physical Contaminants
- Chemical Contaminants
- Biological Contaminants
What is a food Allergen?
- A protein in a food or ingredient that some people are sensitive to.
The 8 most common food allergens
- Tree nuts
The FDA has created a food defense program called: ALERT
- Assure- Products are received from safe sources
- Look- Monitor the security of products in the facility
- Employees- Know who is in your facility
- Report- Keep information accessible
- Threat- Develop a plan for responding to suspicious activity on a threat to the operation
Most common symptoms of a food-borne illness
- Abdominal Cramps
Questions to Answer
- Name a pathogen that can contaminate food.
- What 6 things do bacteria need to grow?
- What is the Acronym that the FDA made as a food defense strategy?