By: Catherine Bao
- The most expensive candy is Chocopologie by Knipschildt which is $2,600 for 454g.
- The first sweets were eaten as a medical treatment for digestive troubles.
- Cotton candy was supposed to be called Fairy Floss.
- The Snickers bar was named after a horse.
- 65% of all candy is more than 50 years old.
- The average person eats about 24 pounds per year!
Most Popular Candy
Chocolate has been around for at least 3,500 years. The cocoa in it helps lower heart disease.
M&M'S were invented during the Spanish Civil War. It was first sold to people in 1941.
Reese's was made in 1928. In 2010, it turned 84. It is very popular around the world.
Money spent on candy
The US spends $500,000,000 on candy. That's quite a lot!
June: National Candy Month
Candy doesn't always start cavities. There are some types that are really healthy and ok to eat.
NYC's Fashion's Night Out
Reasons Candy Is Good For You
- Chocolate can reduce the chance of getting a heart attack or a stroke
- Chewing gum makes you focused and helps reduce stress
- Some types of candy can help lose weight.
- Peppermints helps concentrate when taking tests
- People who eat candy a few times a month are more likely to live a year longer than those who don't
Reasons Candy Is BAD For You
- Too much candy can give you cavities, and it can make you fat.
- It is unhealthy to eat daily.
- Chocolate has caffeine, which is okay, but too much is bad.
- It can also rot your teeth.
What Would Happen If All Candy Was Gone?
If all candy was gone, the workers who depend on the candy for money would lose their jobs. Supermarkets would make less money, since they do depend on people to buy it. Halloween would be gone. The average candy sales for Halloween is $2.3 billion! Candy companies will lose lots of money since most people buy candy on Halloween.