FOURTH GRADE NEWS
February 11, 2016
What's Up in 4th Grade!
It's progress report time! Please login to the Parent Portal to view your child's grades.
Sending a big thank you to Mrs. Carrenza for organizing such fun events for Friendship Week! Our Friendship Party is tomorrow from 12:30-1:30, and I know our PTA parents have planned some fun activities. Please make sure your child brings their decorated bag for our friendship card/treat exchange.
REMINDER: Monday is a student holiday/teacher in-service day.
Multicultural Night is on Thursday, February 18th, at 6:00 pm. Students may wear multicultural clothing to school that day as well as that night. Students are invited to create a display board with information about a country of their choice. Please see the link below for more information.
Plano ISD provides parent workshops around the district. Please see the link below for dates and times.
We will continue our theme of "Working Together" to accomplish goals. Students will learn that people can also work with animals by forming teams to accomplish goals. In our main story, "Ima and the Great Ostrich Race," students will learn to draw conclusions from text clues which will help them understand the changes characters undergo, why they act the way they do, and why certain plot events take place. The spelling pattern for this week is words with /oi/ and /ou/.
In math, we will continue to work on our PBL project: New-Tritional Information. This week, students were given a choice of projects to complete. The driving questions are: Task 1 - “How much do I have to exercise to burn off the food that I typically eat?” Task 2 - “How does displaying menu items in terms of minutes of exercise, instead of calories, affect what people order?” Projects will be presented on Tuesday, February 16th. Students will then have an opportunity to write about their findings. We will end the week beginning a new unit on measurement.
Please continue to practice multiplication and division facts with your students. These facts are used as a tool for the work that we do in fourth grade. If your child does not know his or her facts, the process of learning is hindered by this lack of knowledge.
Science and Social Studies
We are going to identify and classify Earth's renewable resources, including air, plants, water, and animals; and nonrenewable resources, including coal, oil, and natural gas; and understand the importance of conservation.The students will know that Earth consists of useful resources and its surface is constantly changing. The student is expected to identify and classify Earth's renewable resources, including air, plants, water, and animals; and nonrenewable resources, including coal, oil, and natural gas; and the importance of conservation.
Science Test is on Monday, Feb 22nd
From the Teachers
- Please always send your child with a coat during cold weather. We go outside if the temperature is 40 degrees or above. Also remember to label all of your child's removeable clothing so we may find its owner easily.
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic devices. Electronic devices are being used in all subject areas every day, along with music and art.
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
2/11 Progress Reports
2/12 Friendship Party
2/15 Student Holiday
2/18 Multicultural Night
2/19 Wordmasters Test