On Monday, September 28th 1770 a son of another man who was claimed to be an 11 year old minor was stolen near the Towns Square. The sons father- James Manchester demanded some sort of revenge after finding out that the kidnapper who went by the name of Noah Yarnings wanted to use the 11 year old boy- Edward Manchester as a slave. Noah Yarnings had been caught that day and was taken to trial where he pleaded not guilty, but then was proven wrong when a witness by the name of Sarah Gooseman had claimed that she saw everything. "He approached the little boy from behind and threw a cloth over his face, and ran off in an instance" said Sarah Gooseman. The jury and the judge believed her and Yarnings was said to be guilty. Our King, Hammurabi had stated that, if any one steal the minor son of another, he shall be put to death (Law 14) . Since Edward Manchester was only 11 years old (a minor). Noah Yarnings was put to death on Wednesday, September 30th 1770


There has been a lot of confusion in the town due to missing slaves. On Sunday, October 4th 1770, there had been a complaint from Willson Bakyard that there was a household receiving run away male and female slaves. It is known that the master of the house, Franklin Sterling was allowing these slaves in his household without bringing it out at the public proclamation of the major domus. Sterling received 6 slaves in total. 3 males and 3 females. According to the Hammurabi Code of Law, death is the consequence to this action. If anyone receive into his house a runaway male or female slave of the court, or of a freedman, and does not bring it out at the public proclamation of the major domus, the master of the house shall be put to death (Law 16). Therefore Franklin Sterling was put to death later in the evening at that day, and the slaves were taken away.


On Monday, October 5th 1770, a feud between two neighbours fired up early that morning when one neighbour was accused of stealing and poisoning the other neighbours corn. Rose Leatherhand allowed her neighbour -Peter Nellen to store his full bag of corn in her house for safe keeping until he was able to store it in his own home. When Nellen came back that night to retrieve his corn, he had noticed while walking back to his house that the bag which the corn was stored in was only half full and let off a suspicious smell. It was later then that he realized that the smell might have been poison. He left at once to confront his neighbour Rose Leatherhand. They argued back and fourth until finally the truth came out. She was guilty and had to face the consequence to her actions. The Hammurabi Code of Law states that, if anyone store corn for safe keeping in another persons house and any harm happen to the corn in storage, or if the owner of the house open the granary and take some of the corn, or if especially he deny that the corn was stored in his house: then the owner of the corn shall claim his corn before God (on oath), and the owner of the house shall pay its owner for all the corn that he took (Law 120). Rose Leatherhand had to give back all the corn that she had took and ruined. Her neighbours are now more aware with trusting her now.

Big image


By Hammurabi Code of Law, if a man adopt a son, and if after he has taken him he injure his foster father and mother, then this adopted son shall return to his fathers house (Law 186). Denny Higgings had to return to his originals fathers house on Wednesday October 7th 1770 after injuring his foster father- Bruce Genrald on Tuesday, October 8th 1770 . Higgings had accidently dropped a heavy bucket of water onto his foster fathers foot, which caused bleeding and bruising. The foster son Denny Higgings did not want to go back to his fathers house, he begged and gave his foster parents a very hard time not to go back to his fathers house. His foster parents respected The Hammurabi Code of Law too much to break it. Therefore, Higgings foster parents had sent him back to his fathers house.


An enormous backstabbing conflict broke out on Friday, October 2th 1770 when fire lit up at the back of the house of Leonard Newman and was put out by Belle Janson whom was accused of stealing Newmans 60 karat gold watch. Leonard Newman and Belle Janson were taken to court and Newman was asked to tell his side of the story for the judge and jury to hear.

"Belle Janson had offered to help put out this raging fire" he said. "After 10 minutes the fire was gone and I had invited her to sit for some tea. While i was in the kitchen boiling water for the tea I heard noises as if someone was going up my stairs" he said. "So i went to check what was going on and I saw her, I saw her with my gold watch in her hand, I was in shock because she is one of my good friends. It would have never crossed my mind that she would steal something from me...she dashed off before I could catch her.

Belle Janson denied it and was then asked to tell her story.

"I saw his house on fire and immediately i ran to help put it out" she said. "When I was left alone i remembered that I had to be somewhere that is why i ran out so fast. I did not steal anything." she said.

Newman had mentioned that Janson did have financial issues and explained that she stole his watch in order to help pay her bills. That had put all the pieces to this puzzle together. The judge believed that Belle Janson was guilty, and so did the jury. It is known by the Hammurabi code of Law (Law 25) that if a fire break out in a house, and some one who comes to put it out cast his eye upon the property of the owner of the house, and take the property of the master of the house, he shall be thrown into that self-same fire. Therefore, Belle Janson was taken to be thrown into that self-same fire on Saturday, October 3rd 1770.


By Thalia Kurt