First day of school is September 1, 2021

Big picture

Greetings Cascade View Family,

Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year at Cascade View Elementary School! I am so excited to welcome students back. As we transition back into full time learning I anticipate there are a lot of questions and wonderings, but please be assured we will align and follow all guidelines and protocols to create a transparent and safe learning environment. Thank you to the Tukwila School District Staff for all of the planning, dedication, and work to prepare to open the buildings for students and staff. I believe that we collaboratively reflect as partners working together to build strong relationships. One of our goals this year is Goal 1 in creating a culture of equity, trust, honesty, respect, and positive relationships. One area of ongoing reflection for me is how do we best serve and support our children?

Another one of our goals this year is Goal 2 which focuses on instruction to develop a clear focus on engaging students through the design of instruction through curriculum, experiences, work, and supports to ensure student achievement. Cascade View takes great pride in creating an educational atmosphere where students can learn in a caring, safe, and creative environment. Together our staff encourages students to engage in a lifelong love of learning. As we focus on student achievement we will provide a variety of academic and educational experiences that promote student’s growth and learning throughout the school year. This year the school district will emphasize social and emotional (SEL) learning with the introduction of the five areas of emotional intelligence; recognizing, understanding, labeling, expressing, and regulating emotions (RULER).

Thank you to the Cascade View Staff for all of the preparation that has and will continue through the school year in professional learning communities (PLCs). The collaborative work will align with the district priorities in actively integrating culturally responsive anti-racist practices and SEL competencies. Our work will deepen our knowledge and learning which will include book studies, self-care, weekly lesson planning reflections, professional development protocols, and activities. All of the areas will include reflection, discussion, and next steps. Some of the reflective questions include, What are the goals for how we give feedback to students? How do we assess whether we have achieved these goals? How are we supporting Race and Equity in the classroom? How are we continuing the theme of a nation of diverse readers as shared with Reading Across America?

Communication is vital and plays an integral role that is highly valued at Cascade View. During the school year, I encourage you to take an active role in your student’s learning by communicating with the teacher about your child’s interests, achievements, hobbies, studies, assignments, assessments, and events. We appreciate your experience and willingness to share with the learning community. In addition, if you have any questions or concerns, please contact our office at 206-901-7700.

Cascade View’s staff’s commitment to ensuring that Cascade View remains a celebrated and successful learning community is the foundation of our planning, collaboration, reflection, and professional development. Here at Cascade View we truly believe in joyful teaching and learning everyday. Please join our learning community as we work toward the collective vision and hopes for our learning community. We thank and appreciate you in partnership in supporting the learning of our students. Again, we welcome you back to school at Cascade View and to our wonderful learning community. Here’s to an AMAZING school year as we work collaboratively in partnership to create engaging, joyful teaching, and learning throughout the Cascade View learning community each day.

Go CV Cougars!

Tenesha Fremstad


Big picture




Students will have breakfast in the classroom


SCHOOL ENDS: 3:10 pm

Transportation information will be posted on our website once the information has been given to us. Please continue to check https://cascadeview.tukwilaschools.org/ often.


Please communicate with your child's teacher how your student will be departing school on the first day of school:

  • By bus
  • By parent pick-up (walking)
  • By car

Thank you and we look forward to seeing all of our Cougars on the first day of school.

Big picture


Due to the public health emergency, USDA has given schools the flexibility to operate the Seamless Summer Option (SSO) in school year 2021-22. School/School District operating SSO will offer meals each school day at no charge to all students. In anticipation of a return to normal child nutrition program operations and the potential expansion of P-EBT into SY 21-22, we are encouraging families to complete and submit an application for free or reduced price meals.

Who should fill out an application?

Fill out the application if:

• Total household income is the SAME or LESS than the amount on the chart.

• You receive Basic Food, take part in the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), or receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) for your children.

• You are applying for foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court. Turn in the application to: The Main office at your child’s school, District Office, of Food Service Department. Be sure to submit ONLY ONE application per household. We will notify you if the application is approved or denied. If any child you are applying for is homeless (McKinney-Vento), or migrant, check the appropriate box.

What counts as income?

Who is considered a member of my household? Look at the income chart below. Find your household size. Find your total household income. If members in the household are paid at different times during the month and you are unsure if your household is eligible, fill out an application and we will determine your income eligibility for you. The information you give will be used to determine your child's eligibility for free or reduced-price meals. Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals regardless of personal use income. If you have questions about applying for meal benefits for foster children, please contact us at 206-901-8068 or 206-901-8004.

Big picture

HOUSEHOLD is defined as all persons, including parents, children, grandparents, and all people related or unrelated who live in your home and share living expenses. If applying for a household with a foster child, you may include the foster child in the total household size.

HOUSEHOLD INCOME is considered to be the income each household member received before taxes. This includes wages, social security, pension, unemployment, welfare, child support, alimony, and any other cash income. If including a foster child as part of the household, you must also include the foster child’s personal income. Do not report foster payments as income.

What must be on the application?

A. For households not getting any assistance:

• Student name(s)

• Names of all household members

• Income by source for all household members

• Adult household member's signature

• Last 4 digits of social security number of the adult household member who signs the application (or if the adult signing does not have a social security number, check the associated box).

Complete Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5; Part 6 is optional.

B. For households with only foster child(ren)

• Student’s name

• Adult household member signature Complete Parts 1 and 5. Part 6 is optional.

You may also send the school a copy of the court documentation showing the foster child(ren) was/were placed with you instead of filling out an application form.

Last 4 digits of SSN are not required for B.

C. For a family getting Basic Food/TANF/FDPIR:

• List all student names

• Enter a case number

• Adult household member's signature Complete Parts 1, 2, 4, and 5. Part 6 is optional.

Last 4 digits of SSN are not required for C.

D. For household with a foster child(ren) and other children:

Apply as a household and include foster children. Follow the directions for “A. For households not getting any assistance:” and include the foster child’s personal use income.

National School Lunch Program/School Breakfast Program

2021-22 Letter to Households (SSO Schools)

What if I’m not receiving basic food dollars?

If you have been approved for Basic Food but do not actually receive Basic Food dollars, you may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. You must apply for meal benefits by filling out a meal application and returning it to your child’s school.

Do my children automatically qualify if they have a case number?

Yes. Children on TANF or Basic Food may get free meals and children receiving some Medicaid benefits may be eligible for free or reduced price meals without the household having to complete an application. These children are identified by the school using a data matching process. This matched list is then made available to your child’s school food service staff. The students on this list get free meals if their schools have the free and reduced-price breakfast and/or lunch program (not all schools do). Please contact us immediately if you feel your children should be receiving free meals and are not. If you do not want your child to participate in the free meal programs using this method, please notify the school.

If anyone in my household has a case number, will all children qualify for free meals?

Yes. If someone else in the household has a case number, other than a foster child, you must fill out an application and send it to your student’s school. Please contact us immediately if you feel other children in your household should be receiving free meals and are not.

Basic Food - Can I qualify for assistance in buying food?

Basic Food is the state’s food stamp program. It helps households make ends meet by providing monthly benefits to buy food. Getting Basic Food is easy! You can apply in person at the local DSHS Community Service Office, by mail, or online. There are other benefits too. You can learn about Basic Food by calling 1-877-501-2233 or by logging on to https://www.dshs.wa.gov/esa/community-services-offices/basic-food.

We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food, or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?

Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

What if some household members have no income to report?

Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a 0 in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

Health Coverage

To inquire about or apply for health care coverage for kids in your family, please visit http://www.wahealthplanfinder.org or you may call Washington Health Plan Finder at 1-855-923-4633.

What if my child needs special foods?

If your child needs special foods, contact the school/district food service office.

Proof of Eligibility

The information you provide may be verified at any time. You may be asked to send additional information to prove your child is eligible to receive free and reduced-price meals.

Fair Hearing If you do not agree with the decision on your child's application or the process used to prove income eligibility, you may talk with Veronica Birdsong, the fair hearing official. You have the right to a fair hearing which may be arranged by calling the school/school district at this number 206- 901-8000.


You may apply for benefits any time during the school year. If you should have a decrease in household income, an increase in household size, or become unemployed, or receive Basic Food, TANF, or FDPIR, you may be eligible for benefits and may fill out an application at that time


Completed applications can be returned to Cascade View or emailed to the Office Manager, Angela Meyer, at meyera@tukwila.wednet.edu.
Big picture


At Cascade View, we will be providing basic school supplies to each student. Supplies include:

Glue Sticks


Crayons (24 count)

Colored Markers

Colored Pencils

Pencil Sharpeners


Spiral Notebooks


Whiteboard Markers

Whiteboard Erasers

Big picture



In a shelter or transitional housing

In a motel or campground / inadequate housing (lack of water, electricity, heat or overcrowded)

In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station

Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship or moving from place to place (couch surfing) / youth living with adult that is not a parent or legal guardian

Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.


  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.

  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.

  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.

  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference.

  • If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.

  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.

  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children's needs.

If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may supports available for your preschool-age children.

For help or questions, please contact:

Julie Herdt

Quality Engagement Specialist for Elementary Students and Families

Tukwila School District


If you need further assistance with your children's educational needs, contact the National Center for Homeless Education:

1-800-308-2145 homeless@serve.org http://nche.ed.gov

Big picture