NUAMES NORTH Counseling Newsletter
COLLEGE & CAREER READINESS (CCR) MEETINGS
How Do I Sign Up?
- School Counselors will send you and your parents an email with detailed instructions on how to sign up for your CCR when it is your turn.
- PLEASE respond quickly and choose an appointment when invited! We meet with EVERY STUDENT, EVERY YEAR!
- If you don't choose a time, your Counselor will assign you a time.
COLLEGE APPLICATION MONTH
Utah Hosts College Application Month during October
COLLEGE APPLICATION TIPS
Here are some answers to frequently asked questions...
FAFSA NIGHT FOR SENIORS
What is FAFSA?
- FAFSA = Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- FAFSA is the GATEWAY to Opportunity and Scholarship Eligibility.
- By filling out this application, students may earn FEDERAL Grants, Loans, and/or Work Study jobs on campus.
- FAFSA completion is required for many STATE Scholarships
- FAFSA completion is required for some University Scholarships to be processed
Need Help with your FAFSA?
Come to our FAFSA Night on Wednesday, October 26th between 5-8pm in the NUAMES Counseling Offices and classrooms. We will have FAFSA experts there to help with your questions.
**Seniors can earn Seminar credit by attending and completing their FAFSA Application!**
What Can I Do to Get Ready for FAFSA Night?
- We recommend creating your FSA ID BEFORE FAFSA NIGHT. The FSA ID is how you electronically sign the FAFSA. Having this set up ahead of time will save you time on FAFSA Night.
- Each student must create a NEW FSA ID. Parents will need FSA ID's as well.
- Parents may already have a FSA ID if they have helped an older sibling or even applied themselves when they went to college. Parents will use the same FSA ID they used in the past.
- See this INSTRUCTION SHEET for creating an FSA ID: How to Create FSA ID.pdf
PAYING FOR COLLEGE & SCHOLARSHIPS SEMINAR
WED, OCTOBER 26th: Sessions at 5:00-6:00pm & 6:30-7:30pm - During FAFSA Night!
Come and learn about all the ways you can use a combination of different sources to pay for college!
NUAMES Scholarships Page is GREAT Resource!
- You can find "Monthly Opportunities" that show monthly SCHOLARSHIP newsletters!
- You can find lots of FREE and safe search engines on here
- You can link to each college's scholarships page
- You can find a FAFSA walkthrough video
- Link to the scholarships page on button below
PSAT TESTING OCT 12
Why Should a 10th grader or 11th grader take the PSAT Exam?
For 10th graders this is a great opportunity for a Preliminary SAT. We often get asked what exam students should take, the ACT or SAT. The answer is, find the test that works best for the student. Both ACT and SAT are used for college admissions across the nation, and most colleges do not prefer one test over the other. Having a student take the PSAT gives them an opportunity to see how they would perform on the SAT to determine if it would be a better fit.
Students who take the PSAT/NMSQT in 11th grade may also qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Program. The College Board also partners with other scholarship organizations to find qualified students for their programs.
OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS
- Oct 3-Nov 10: Early College CCR Meetings
- Oct 3 - Nov 10: Senior CCR Meetings continue **Please make an appt ASAP if you haven't!**
- Oct 5: PSAT Registration Deadline
- Oct 3 and 6: Lunchtime "Hang with the HopeSquad" - Bring your Own Lunch! Lind #127
- Oct 8: RMACAC College Fair *Seminar Approved / See DSD Seminar assignment for details!**
- Oct 11: Weber State University College Series Seminar in Lind 126 @ 11:15 - 11:45am
- Oct 12: PSAT Testing Day 7:45-12:00 **Students go to Elizabeth Hall #229 for testing**
- Oct 13-14: NUAMES Fall Break! (WSU classes still in session)
- Oct 20: Davis Technical College Seminar Presentation in Lind 126 11:15 - 11:45am
- Oct 20: University of Utah College Seminar Presentation in Lind 126 @ 3:15 - 3:45pm
- Oct 21: Ogden Weber Tech College Seminar Presentation in Lind 126 @ 12:45 -1:15pm
- Oct 21: Weber State Fall Break (NUAMES still in session)
- Oct 21: Halloween Dance
- Oct 24 - Nov 3: Early College Information Sessions (SEE INFO BELOW FOR REGISTRATION)
- Oct 25: Utah State University College Seminar Presentation in Lind 126 @ 11:15 - 11:45am
- Oct 25: Ensign College Seminar Presentation in Lind 126 @ 3:15 - 3:45pm
- Oct 26: Keys to Success App/Website Demo for Scholarships and College/Career Help in
- Oct 26: Paying for College & Scholarships Seminar Noorda Bldg Room #227 / 5:00-6:00 PM and 6:30-7:30 PM
- Oct 26: FAFSA Night in NUAMES ENGINEERING CLASSROOMS (Noorda Bldg) 5:00-8:00 PM
- Oct 27: Hope Squad Guest Speaker 6:00-7:30 PM @ Noorda Building
- Oct 28: Southern Utah University College Seminar Presentation in Lind 126 @ 12:45 -1:15pm
- Oct 31: NUAMES Clubs Halloween Trunk or Treat during Lunch
- Happy Global Diversity Awareness Month, Filipino-American Heritage Month,
German-American Heritage Month, Italian-American Heritage Month, National Polish American Heritage Month, and Family History Months!!
EARLY COLLEGE INFO SESSIONS
Students who are interested in applying for the Weber State EARLY COLLEGE program, MUST attend an Information Session with parent/guardian as their FIRST STEP of 6 steps to get admitted.
What Else Can I Do to Prepare for the EARLY COLLEGE APPLICATION?
We highly recommend interested students take the October or December National ACT Test.
- Students must sign up for a national ACT test on their own through this LINK
- Choose a location convenient for you to take the test
- It can take 6-8 weeks to get your ACT scores back, so this gives you time to receive them before the deadline
- Remember to LIST NUAMES NORTH as your High School (school code 450-038)
- Remember to send your scores to Weber State University when you do your registration for ACT!