Buffalo Family Bulletin
Connect with Us
- School website: http://blackshear.kleinisd.net/
- Follow us on Twitter: @BlackshearKISD
- Follow our school hashtag: #HaveUHerdKISD
- Follow us on Facebook
- View a full catalog of our online flyers on the Blackshear Peachjar page
- Have you ever wondered about our school procedures? Click here for a parent reference guide.
News and Reminders
- Peach Jar: Please make sure that you are receiving electronic flyers, as that is our sole source of communication this year in order to reduce cost associated with paper flyers. If you are not currently receiving them, visit their website and sign up manually. You can also opt out of certain types of flyers to lesson the number coming to your inbox. We suggest you at least accept school and PTO flyers so that you don't miss any important news.
- Parent University: We still have several sessions (campus and district offerings) available to attend and get credit for our new Parent University program. Remember, just attend 5 sessions of your choice (be sure to sign in), and you will be invited to our Klein ISD Parent University graduation ceremony complete with cap and gown! The next Parent University event in November 13 and we are very excited to train parents in the Nurtured Heart Approach to discipline and character that we use at school.
- Lost and Found: Our lost and found is getting full again. Please have your students look for missing jackets and lunch boxes (our most common items) in the lost and found. Or you are welcome to come check in with the office and look through it yourself.
- Digital Citizenship: With the increased use of technology in the classroom, we are working hard to teach students responsible and appropriate use of this technology. Each week we pull a report which shows searches flagged as inappropriate. Your support at home with helping our students develop good online habits is much appreciated!
- Car Dismissal ends at 3:45 unless we are slowed down due to rain or other extenuating circumstances. At 3:45 students are taken to the front office so if you arrive after that, you will need to park and walk into the office to pick up your child.
- Bus Parking Lot: Please do not park in the bus parking lot in order to pick up your students as walkers or for any other reason. This compromises student safety and disrupts the flow of traffic for our 10 school buses and our 21 daycare vans/buses.
- Klein ISD Calendar Survey: Please submit your feedback regarding calendar options for the 2019-2020 school year. There is also a question about the start time for elementary school. The deadline is November 12.
Family School Climate Survey
Parents/Guardians, please take 5 minutes to complete this brief survey to help us identify areas for growth in our school culture and climate. This is the same survey that was linked in the October edition, but is still available for your completion. If you have already completed, please do not duplicate responses. Thanks!
Please check school website for additional dates; dates are subject to change
- 11/1 - Fifth grade field trip to NRG
- 11/8 - Boosterthon Fun Run (more info will follow from PTO)
- 11/9-11/14 - Vision and Hearing screening (please ensure students who wear glasses have them this day)
- 11/9 - Veterans' Day program (2-3 p.m.)
- 11/13 - Progress reports go home
- 11/13 - Nurtured Heart Parent Night (6:00-7:00 p.m.)
- 11/13 - 4th grade parent meeting regarding take-home technology (6:30-7:00)
- 11/14 - Spring Creek BBQ Spirit Night
- 11/19-11/23 - Thanksgiving holiday
- 11/30 - Big Kahuna party bus for qualifying students (permission slips coming home soon)
- Holiday parties will be December 19th
- Early dismissal December 20th (no Pre-K classes on this day) - 12:45 dismissal time
- 1st semester P2P Celebrations (awards ceremonies) are 12/12-12/14
- Winter Holidays are December 21 - January 7th
- Students return to school on January 8th
- Storybook character costumes were AMAZING, and hundreds of parents joined us to watch the parade! Thank you for your continued support!
- PTO put together a wonderful first Trunk or Treat for our families! We are so grateful for our PTO who works so hard to make school fun for our kids!
- We have close to 100 families who are halfway to meeting the requirement of 5 events for Parent University so that the parents can graduate in May!
- About 100 families attended Literacy Night and learned some fun reading strategies to use at home.
- Blackshear is the highest grossing school so far with the Big Kahuna fundraiser, and we will profit $16,000 to use for our students!
- The book fair made $13,335, which gives us $8,000 in scholastic dollars to stock books for our students! This year, our goal is to build our collection of nonfiction books.
- Our Watch D.O.G. program is going so well this year! Thank you to all of the dads who have volunteered their time to help our students here at Blackshear! Special kudos to Mr. Perez who cleaned the cafeteria, led students in math groups, and gave tons of hugs and high fives!