The Week Ahead Memo
State Road Elementary School
Monday, November 10, 2014
Fenton Educator of the Year!
And congratulations to Sara Wolfgram's dad for winning the Community Hero of the Year award as well! Too cool!!!
Events This Week!
Monday afternoon for an Elementary Principals Mtg.
Wednesday morning for a doctor's appointment
Friday all day for a personal day
Grade Fixes for the Year!
As a reminder, our “Grade Fixes” that we agreed to pilot for this school year are:
▫ Fix 1: Don’t include student behaviors in grades; include only achievement
▫ Fix 5: Don’t consider attendance in grade determination; report absences separately
▫ Fix 6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence
"Grading" SI Action Team Requests:
- Everyone should have received the book called "A Repair Kit for Grading"
- As a staff, we are going to focus on one fix per month
- For the month of November, please read Fix #1 which is pp. 16-23. Provide feedback by November 13 to either Barry, Gabe, or Callie if something that stands out to you from this section… an idea, a wondering, a concern, something great you are already doing, etc.
- We will compile and share this feedback at our November team meeting and with the rest of the staff.
Observation / Evaluation Process Update
I started my first round of Observations last week - I’d like to complete all 'first-observations' by Thanksgiving break. The ‘Noticings’ and ‘Wonderings’ sections will only focus on two (2) Dimensions for Observation 1 (Purpose (P) and Classroom Environment & Culture (CEC)).
- Observations - We will again conduct a minimum of 3 observations for the year (district continuity).
- Observations Time - These will be 15-30 min of lesson scripting and another 15 minutes of coding.
- I should be able to access or view your daily lesson plans with assigned standards.
- A difference from last year is that all observations will be unannounced (law compliance and district continuity).
- We will have a Dimension focus during observations (up to two dimensions). The dimension focus areas will be the areas that Noticing’s, Wonderings, and Analysis will be derived.
- Evaluation learning series - We will offer several voluntary learning opportunities for staff to participate in. These opportunities are geared to develop deeper understanding of the framework, rubrics, vocabulary and other processes of 5D+ for those interested. Materials will be made available to all.
CULTURE OF LEARNING!
Students don't care how much you know, until they know how much you care!
- If you are struggling with a few students in your classroom, try a new strategy... Don't express frustration with them, but tell them that you care for them and are going to help them.
- If you tend to express frustration or raise your voice at the entire class because of the behavior of a few, consider pointing out the positive behaviors and create positive rewards and incentives.
- Have FUN and ENJOY WHAT YOU DO!!!
What's Happening Next Week?
- My next Voluntary 5D+ Learning Session is next Tuesday, Nov. 18 afterschool beginning at 3:45pm. We will look at the "Purpose" dimension.
- School Improvement Team Meeting is next Thursday, Nov. 20 beginning at 7:30am in the Media Center. If you want to participate on one of our SI Action Teams, those meetings will begin at 8am.
DOWN THE ROAD...
- Thanksgiving Break is Wednesday - Friday, Nov. 26 - 28!
- I would like to get our MERTeam together shortly after P/T Conference Week.
- Our Holiday Concerts will be Friday, Dec. 12. (Grades 1 & 4 @ 8:50am. Grades 2 & 3 @ 9:40am. Grades K & 5 @ 10:30am)