Friends of Syrian Refugees
WELCOMING AND SUPPORTING REFUGEE FAMILIES
We are looking for support from individuals, businesses, schools and organizations in the community to help reach our goal.
WHAT IS THE SITUATION IN SYRIA?
- The civil war in Syria has killed over 220,000 people since 2012
- More than 12 million Syrians (50 % of the country's population) have been displaced
- Bombings have destroyed many cities and the infrastructure that supports the citizens
- Most people do not have access to food, clean water and medical care
WHAT IS THE SYRIAN REFUGEE CRISIS?
- Over 4 million Syrians are refugees
- Most Syrian refugees are in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, which Do Not have the programs or infrastructure to support such an overwhelming number of people
- The living condition of the refugees is deteriorating and puts them at risk of contracting illnesses, malnutrition and vulnerability to mistreatment
- 75% of the refugees are women and children
- 750,000 Syrians have risked their lives by crossing dangerous seas in unsafe vessels trying to reach Europe
HOW WILL THEY GET HERE?
It is our goal to raise at least $27,000, which is the amount typically needed to financially support a family for one year, and provide settlement assistance on arrival.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Send an e-money transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you would like to make arrangements to send a cheque or cash, please contact us at the above email for more information
- If you have an in-kind donation such as housing, furniture etc, please contact us to let us know - these types of donations can be deducted from the costs needed to sponsor the family.
Volunteer your time
- Part of the sponsorship process is helping the family settle after arriving in Canada. This can include meeting them at the airport, going with them to appointments, registering children in school. If you have time to donate to this aspect of the campaign please contact us - they will need the support of the community in order to settle and adjust to their new home.
Spread the word
- Word of mouth is incredibly powerful when combined with action. Please help spread the message and direct family, friends and community members to this site so they can also become involved.
Where does the fundraising target of approximately $27,000 come from?
The Government of Canada publishes a table of projected expenses for refugees – for a family of four, the estimated cost is over $27,000, which includes start-up costs, and a living allowance for twelve months based on provincial social assistance rates.
Does all of the money (100%) raised go to the actual refugee family?
Yes, 100%. The $27,000 covers the equivalent of social assistance payments for a family of four as well as costs for furnishing, rent, transportation and providing adequate clothing etc.
What is a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH)?
They are usually non-profit charities, community, religious or cultural organizations who have been pre-approved by government to support the resettlement of refugees in Canada.
Who pays the refugee's transportation costs to arrive in Canada?
Depending on the country they may or may not be living in Refugee Camps but will be registered with the UN High Commission of Refugees (UNHCR). Once selected by the government of Canada, the refugee will receive a government issued Transportation Loan. Transportation is then arranged by the International Organization of Migration (IOM). Refugees are able to ask the government of Canada for a loan deferral but they are expected to re-pay the loan once they have re-settled and find employment. Often sponsor groups pay for the transportation costs, (which can be quite high especially for a large family) but this is not part of the legal obligation of $27,000.
What are the legal responsibilities of the sponsors?
They are responsible for ensuring the minimum funds are raised and made available to the family (if needed). The legal responsibility ends after one year. We recommend a minimum of five families sign the agreement.