In this newsletter:
- Early Pick Up
- Arrival and Dismissal information
- School Supplies
- Focus Information
- eLearning Day in September
- Technology Information
- Job Opportunities
- COVID information
- Construction Information
- Mobile Dentist
- Strategic Planning Listening Post
- Upcoming events
🍃🏵 🍃🏵 🍃🏵 🍃🏵
Early Pick Up
- If your child has a change of plans for dismissal, you must call before 2:00 so we can make sure the message is delivered to all involved.
- If your child is going to be picked up early from school, please call before 2:00 PM.
- If leaving early students need to be picked up before 2:30
- Students will not leave between 2:30-2:45 due to the dismissal routines happening in the building.
- Students are starting to get ready for dismissal and we might not be able to reach the teacher. So please plan accordingly.
Drop off in the morning
Morning Car Rider Procedures:
Great job to the parents using the drop off by gym doors located in the bottom parking lot.
This is the best way to drop off students that are coming to school in a vehicle.
Do not stop on Cason Street to drop off your students. This is not safe. The line to drop off is in the bottom parking lot. This is a continuous line and only takes a few moments.
The gym doors open at 7:45 and will close at 8:22. If you arrive after 8:22, please use the front doors.
- Drive down to the back parking lot. Follow the arrows and someone will be there to help your child out of the car.
- The gym doors will open at 7:45. Please do not let your child out of the car until an adult is outside directing the flow of traffic.
- Cars should pull up the “Drop Off” zone as far as possible to allow more than one car to drop off at a time.
- For safety reasons, students should exit the vehicle on the passenger side ONLY.
- Please do not pull around another car unless instructed to do so.
- If you forgot a note, lunch box, etc. Please exit the car rider line and park in a spot on Cason Street in front of Murdock to take care of those issues.
- After your child is out of the car, you will go back up the hill (same way you came down).
- If your child is arriving tardy to school, 8:25 or later, PLEASE park in front of Murdock and walk your child to the front door. You will need to use the buzzer to enter the building. You must sign in your child in the binder at the front office. Unaccompanied children will not be able to enter the building without an adult after 8:25.
- Walkers will enter the main doors. These doors will not open until 8:00.
- Students that are here before 8:00 will not be supervised.
- Walkers will enter the main doors and proceed down to the gym.
- Parents will drop off their child outside the doors. Parents will not enter the building.
- If your child is arriving tardy to school, 8:25 or later, PLEASE park in front of Murdock and walk your child to the front door. You will need to use the buzzer to enter the building. You must sign in your child in the binder at the front office. Unaccompanied child will not be able to enter the building without an adult after 8:25.
Pick Up Procedures
- Students will go to a designated area after school to wait for FOCUS to start.
- When you pick up your child from FOCUS, please park in the spaces in front of the building. You will walk up to the building, hit the call button and tell us who you are picking up. We will radio for your child to come to the main lobby. Please have your ID with you, we may ask you for identification purposes. You will also need to sign your child out. There will be a binder in the front office.
- Focus pick up is between 3:15-6:00
- Students will have a designated place to go after school. Students that walk towards 18th Street a staff member will walk them a short way down the sidewalk so they can carefully pass where the cars are entering and exiting for the car rider line.
- Do not park on Cason street and walk to the building to pick up your student between 2:35-2:50
- If you drove to the school to pick up your child, use the car rider line. The car line is working out great and we are getting through all the cars by around 2:52.
- If you need a car rider number, please email email@example.com or stop in the main office.
Afternoon Car Rider Procedures:
You all have done a great job with the new car line procedures. The line starts at dismissal at 2:45 and we are finished by 2:52 on most days.
- Please make sure your number is visible through the front window.
- When you arrive in your car please enter at the yellow gates and follow the drive. We ask that you not enter this drive until 2:15. A staff member will radio your number so your child is ready when you get to the gym doors.
- Pull up to the ‘Drop Off’ zone if you are the first car being loaded. This assists us in loading more than one car at a time.
- For safety reasons, have your child enter on the passenger side of the vehicle. DO NOT exit your vehicle to assist your child.
- As cars approach the student car rider line, a staff member will alert the student by calling his/her number. The student will proceed to the designated boarding area to be dismissed.
- While students are waiting in the gym, the noise level is to be quiet so each student can hear their number being called. Please help us by reminding your child of this matter.
- If a student is not ready for any reason, we may ask you to go around the parked cars and re-enter the car rider line. This keeps the flow of traffic moving as well as everyone safe.
- Keep the car-rider line moving. Do not stop to have a conversation with the car-rider staff. If you need to speak with your child’s teacher, you will need to call the school and set up an appointment or email your child’s teacher.
- Do not pull around another car unless instructed to do so.
- To help the flow of traffic, please turn right towards 18th Street.
- For safety reasons, please do not talk on your cell phone while in the car-rider line and in the school zone.
- If you arrive at school after 2:52, you will need to pick up your child at the front office. Park in the spaces in front of the building. You will walk up to the building, hit the call button and tell us who you are picking up. Please have your ID with you, we may ask you for identification purposes. You will also need to sign your child out. There will be a binder in the front office.
FOCUS- After school Program
Wednesday, September 14th
Students will be completing their school work from home on Wednesday, September 14th.
Teachers will have office hours.
Students/parents may call or email the teacher during office hours if they have an questions about the assignments.
Office hours will be emailed closer to the eLearning day.
Hello Parents!! The school year is off to a great start! I just wanted to give a quick technology update. Below is a list of important documents that have been sent home that need to be returned to school. Please reach out to your child’s teacher if you did not receive one or need a new copy. You may also pick up a copy in the front office.
iPad User Agreement: This allows the iPad to be taken home. If this agreement is not filled out, the student will not be able to take the iPad home.
iPad charger Request form: This informs the teacher if you would like an iPad charger sent home for eLearning days.
Also if you have technology difficulties with the student iPad while out home, please go to the LSC website---click on Murdock School up on the top left hand corner—go to the ELEARNING tab—click on student-parent eLearning support request----fill out the form and a member from the LSC technology department will contact you!
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to your teacher or call the school!
Job Opportunities at Murdock
Would you like to work on the same schedule as your child? Do you know someone who is looking for a part time job? Murdock has several openings. If you are interested in any of the positions listed below please apply online or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kindergarten Aide- Be an aide in a kindergarten classroom 8:30-2:45
- Para - Para professional in the resource room helping students in small groups 8:30-2:45
- Title I assistant- Work with students in grades K-4 throughout the day in small groups 8:30-2:45
The above positions you need to be highly qualified. Highly qualified is defined as 48 college credits or pass the para professional assessment which could be completed at LARA (Lafayette Adult Resource Academy). You can contact LARA at 765-476-2920 for more information. The pay for the positions above is $13.25/hr if you are highly qualified.
We are also in search for 2 additional lunch aides. You would monitor the cafeteria and recess. The hours are 10:45-1:00 and the pay is $12.50/hr
Updates on attendance and COVID
- If your child is tests positive for COVID, they need to quarantine for 5 days from the onset of symptoms. They may return to school on day 6 if they are feeling better and must wear a mask on days 6-10.
- If someone in your household tests positive or if your child has been exposed, your student may continue to attend school as long as they are symptom-free. If you choose to keep them home, it will be an unexcused absence unless you have doctor's note.
The dentist will be at Murdock in October. Your child was sent home a form to complete by September 13th. If you need another form please stop by the nurse's office to pick one up or email our school nurse, Ms. Hewes at email@example.com and she will send another copy home with your child.
Forms need to be returned to school by September 13th.
LSC Strategic Planning Listening Post
The Lafayette School Corporation is hosting a series of listening posts to gather feedback for the development of a strategic plan. You are welcome to attend any of the listening posts being held throughout the district and two locations within the Lafayette community.
Feedback gathered from the listening posts will be used to create objectives, strategies, and action steps to drive our work that will nurture, inspire, and empower our students.
Below are the remaining dates, times, and locations of the listening posts. Again, anyone may attend a listening post at any location.
We welcome your feedback and look forward to seeing you.
Wednesday, September 14th- eLearning Day- Students will complete work from home
Tuesday, September 20th- 6:30 Strategic Planning in the library
Tuesday, September 27th- Family Dinner 5:30
Fall Break- October 17th- 21st