5th & 6th Grade Weekly Newsletter
April 29th, 2016
UOI # 5: Journeys and Adventures
Central Idea: Explorers of the past sought discovery, knowledge, and adventure despite challenges and risks.
Lines of Inquiry:
- Adventures often lead to discoveries and personal growth.
- Explorations impacted people and their world.
- Explorers have different motivations for embarking on adventures.
- The Sun, planets and Moon are tools used by explorers.
Highlights from Class this Week
Students have been working on:
- completing research on the explorer of their choice using notecards.
- using notecards to create a summary about the goal,motivation, legacy, and impact.
- taking a point of view on the motivation and impact of an explorer, and using research to create a poster.
- exploring memoirs, and investigating what distinguishes a memoir from other genres.
- identifying the definition of a memoir after exploring various examples of memoir texts.
- investigating what can be learned by exploring the length and direction of shadows.
- using a protractor to measure the angle of shadows.
5th Grade: Fractions
Students have been working on
- Add fractions with unlike units using the strategy of creating equivalent fractions.
- Add fractions with sums between 1 and 2.
- Solve word problems involving the addition of fractions by using a visual fraction model.
Next week, students will subtract fractions and solve two-step word problems.
6th Grade: Expressions and Equations
Students have been working on
- write expressions that record addition and subtraction operations with numbers.
- identify parts of an expression using mathematical terms for multiplication. They view one or more parts of an expression as a single entity.
- model and write equivalent expressions using the distributive property. They move from an expanded form to a factored form of an expression.
This upcoming week, students will be working on expressing operations in algebraic form. They will read and write expressions in which letters stand for and represent numbers. They also learn to use the correct terminology for operation symbols when reading expressions.
5th and 6th Grade students will take a mid-module assessment task on Wednesday, May 4th, Insha Allah.
Reading Lamps for Gaza
He shared with the students how they would only have electricity for about 6 hours in the day, and that even during daylight hours.
Ms. Walcott and Ms. K's classes have already raised money, and 5th/6th Grade have been brainstorming innovative ways to raise money.
Stay tuned for more details.
Students, don't forget to add your ideas to the discussion board on Manage Bac so we can reach a final decision on ways to fundraise and "get the ball rolling"!
Unit 11 Vocabulary Words
Summative assessment for Unit 11 will be on Tuesday, May 10th.
It is important for students to study the words regularly.
Seven Options for Vocabulary Homework deadline has been extended, and will be due on Monday, May 9th.
You can also access games and other resources at the websites below.
class username: minions
class password: mangahigh