Miss Mitchell's 2nd Grade News
January 5th- 8th
Events to Remember
Tuesday Day 2: Computer Lab
Wednesday Day 3: Art
Thursday Day 4: Music
Friday Day 1: P.E.
Tuesday, January 5th Cheese Omelet with Bacon
Wednesday, January 6th Chicken and Noodles
Thursday, January 7th Cheese and Pepperoni Pizza Bites
Friday, January 8th Fish Shapes with Mac and Cheese
Monday, January 11th Taco Scoops
Tuesday, January 12th Scrambled Eggs with French Toast
Wednesday, January 13th Pizza Calzone
Thursday, January 14th Breaded Chicken Sandwich
Friday, January 15th No Lunch - Half Day for Students
*Always an option
Day 1: P.E.
Day 2: Computer Lab
Day 3: Art
Day 4: Music
****Wednesday's are Library Checkout days!
9-9:30 Learning Clubs
9:30-10:45 Math Workshop
11:15-12:25 Reader's Workshop (Word work)
*1:00-1:20 Wednesdays Library
1:00-2:00 Reader's Workshop
1:50 Snack (Please send in a healthy snack for your child)
2:25-3:00 Writer's Workshop
3:00-3:30 Science/Social Studies
Thinking Through a Chapter book: Powering up our Reading and Thinking
By the end of the unit Readers will be able to:
- Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of main idea and key details in a text.
- Describe how characters respond to major events and how characters affect the plot.
- Make predictions about content of text using prior knowledge of text features and explain if they were confirmed or contradicted.
- Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and how the ending concludes the story.
- Participate in collaborative conversations on grade level topic and texts with peers and adults.
Word work (Spelling)-
NO NEW WORDS UNTIL JANUARY
Buddy Study System
Buddy study provides opportunities for children to apply principles for studying a specific list of words in active ways. The purpose is to develop word solving actions so that children can problem solve by working on words in isolation or while reading and writing continuously text. Rapid, automatic word solving is a basic component of fluency. It is important for comprehension because it frees children to focus their attention on the meaning and language of the text.
**There is no grade in spelling. The Buddy System is designed for continuous learning over all curriculum that spelling is applied and learned naturally. The children form this point forward will take their spelling test in their word work notebook in order to keep track of the words they have mastered and the words that they want to learn.
Weekly reading homework:
20 minutes of reading each night plus a reading and math page! Due January 11th.
By the end of the unit Writers will be able to:
Write a review of a book or topic
Learn what an opinion is and develop their opinion
Learn the importance of not only giving an opinion, but also describing the work being analyzed to give good information
Use the conventions of good writing to make their opinion known and understood
Understand that they must back up their opinions with supporting evidence.
Share their opinions
"Adding it Up and Breaking it Down!"
By the end of the unit Mathematicians will be able to:
Understand the connection between addition and subtraction
Demonstrate the same strategies using both addition and subtraction
Demonstrate how to add and subtract 3-4 digit numbers
Identify when it is necessary to regroup
Write repeated addition number sentences
Identify a total group of objects using repeated addition
Draw/build arrays to show repeated addition
Use repeated addition to solve problems
Solve real world problems involving addition and subtraction of multi-digit whole numbers
Find perimeters given the side lengths or by finding unknown sides
- I will send out newsletters on Sunday evening
- I always check my email in the morning, during the day, and in the evening
- If you leave a message for me, I will return it during my prep time (12:30- 12:55) or after 4 PM
- Please send all transportation changes in writing if you can or to the office before 2:00
- If you do not get a reply e-mail from me about transportation, please call the school. I do not always get the chance to read emails right away or I could be absent