Facts About Gum
- The oldest piece of chewing gum ever found is thought to be 9,000 years old.
- John B. Curtis made and sold the first commercial chewing gum Named the State of Maine Pure Spruce Gum.
- The color of the first gum ever made was pink.
- Turkey is the country with the most gum companies.
- Chewing gum burns about 11 calories per hour.
Around 56 to 60% of people chew gum on the daily in the U.S.
Benefits from Gum
- Gum is known to help you concentrate and may improve long term memory.
- It also is known to reduce muscle tension.
- Chewing gum while cutting onions can help a person from producing tears.
- If you chew gum on an airplane it will help your ears from popping because it helps balance pressure in your head.
History of Gum
- In 1848 John B. Curtis made and sold the first commercial gum out of spruce tree resin.
- 1850 is when he added flavor and paraffin for the soft rubbery feel. These became more popular then the spruce.
- In 1888 Thomas Adams' Tutti-Fruitti was the first gum to be sold in a vending machine.