Friday, December 17, 1933
House in Maycomb Goes Up in Flames in the Middle of the Night
Mr. Avery, from down the street had a close miss with the fire after trying to save a mattress on the second floor. "Mr. Avery was wedged so tightly on the window frame, I thought he wasn't going to make it!" Said 13 year old Jeremy Finch, with lived beside Atkinson. Avery is safely recovering in bed with no serious injuries.
The cause of the fire was a single candle stick that had tipped over in the kitchen. "Probably the flue in the kitchen. I kept a fire in there last night for my potted plants." Said Atkinson, owner of the house. Firefighters from Clark's ferry, more then sixty miles away and Abbottsville were able to put the fire before it spread to the neighboring houses.
Death of Tom Robinson
Tuesday afternoon, Tom Robinson, the town dog was shot down by Atticus Finch with a hunting rifle. Tom Robinson, age eleven was infected by rabies and was running down the street. To be continued on page 7
Radley House Intruder
Friday night, an intruder was seen in the backyard of the Radley's. Mr. Radley tried to scare off the intruder with his rifle. To be continued on page 7
Jitney Jungle Groceries
Offer ends December 20th