Bennett Bear Business Newsletter
Week of August 10th
Greetings Amazing Bennett Families,
We hope our BEARS enjoyed receiving their special videos from their teacher's last Friday. Our Bennett staff had fun creating our videos to welcome our BEARS to the upcoming school year.
It's going to be a BUSY week, as we prepare for the start of the school year. Be sure to check out the information below about upcoming events this week.
As always, please reach out to us if you need anything. We are ready to help!
Proud to be a BEAR,
McKinney ISD Grab & Go Meals - Update
Upcoming Events for our BEARS - Week of August 10th
Free & Reduced Meal Applications
Free and Reduced program applications have been delivered to the front offices at the school. To enable social distancing and an easier experience for the parents, we recommend that parents use the online application option, which is open at http://www.mckinneyisd.schoollunchapp.com/. The online application is also usually quicker to process.
Information from Christie Thompson - Our Counselor
Dear Bennett Parents,
I realize that we’re all dealing with a ton of changes, but two things remains constant…I’m proud to be at the very best school in McKinney, and I can’t wait to see my little Bennett Bears!!!
Whether your student is learning remotely or in person, I’ll be available to support his or her social and emotional learning needs.
Please see below:
Guidance lessons, small groups, and Character Strong
- I will deliver my guidance lessons remotely, and I’ll occasionally join teachers’ Zoom meetings with students.
- I will be working with more small groups and individual students in my classroom.
- To emphasize character and SEL, I will give teachers a short, daily warm-up.
- My Virtual Calming Room allows students to click on the pictures to find their calm: https://mrsthompsonliveskind.weebly.com/virtual-calming-room.html
- My Guidance Classroom doubles as a Calming Room, where students can come read, practice breathing strategies, journal, color, etc. (We will socially distance and keep the room sanitized.)
REMIND alerts https://www.remind.com/join/thompsl
- I will use Remind to alert parents when I have information to share, or when I’ve added a new resource to my site.
- This is a one-way communication tool, so email me if you need to reach me.
- WebEx video meetings – I can consult with parents (and visit with students for up to 20 minutes).
- Complete and submit this form for videoconferences: https://forms.gle/rxiJLiNU4qUrp1Dk9
- Confidentiality: to mitigate the confidentiality limits we’ll face, I will not record or save any of our meetings, but remember that it is occurring over the Internet where 100% security is not guaranteed. Also, I will still be required by law to report any instances of suspected abuse/neglect, or if I believe a student is a danger to themselves or to others.
- In person visits - https://mrsthompsonliveskind.weebly.com/referral-form.html
- After school hours - If you, your student, or anyone in your family needs additional support, there is a nationwide Crisis Text Line that you can access 24-7 by texting home to the number 741-741. A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds from a secure online platform.
- Emergencies: Please call 911 in the case of mental health emergencies.
Christie N. Thompson
MISD Back to School Frequently Asked Questions
MISD Safely Opening Schools
Information from Bennett Nurse - Tiffany Krueger
BEARS Celebrating a Birthday in August
10 - Olivia
12- Mac, Bond, Matteo
13 - Zoha, Kacey, Roman, Nathan
16 - Jules, Caleb
17 - Lela, Kingston
18 - Ella, Kaylee
20 - Misty Fahsholtz - 5th Grade Teacher
21 - Hailey Gore - 4th Grade Teacher, Nolan
22 - Charity, Alexander
23 - Kevin, Madison, Juliette, Jonas
24 - Jennifer Blazek - Kindergarten Teacher, Lovella, Brooklyn
25 - Haley
26 - Hensley
27 - Anthony, Kaden
28 - Rachel Androlowicz - STC Paraprofessional, Kevin, Gabriella
30 - Ahiyan, Hailey
31 - Elijah, Timothy, Oluchi
Monday, August 10th:
Laptop Distribution for 3rd-5th Grade BEARS
Collect laptops and charging cords for any device checked out in spring that is no longer needed
Distribute carpool signs for 2020-2021 school year
Distribute school supplies for students that preordered PTO school supply packs
Collect library books, book bag books, etc.
Tuesday, August 11th:
Virtual Bennett Blast Off & Meet the Teacher via Grade Level Zoom Times
3:00 - Specials Team
3:30 - Structure Teach Classrooms & Special Education Team
4:00 - Kindergarten
4:30 - 1st Grade
5:00 - 2nd Grade
5:30 - 3rd Grade
6:00 - 4th Grade
6:30 - 5th Grade
Wednesday, August 12th:
Pre-K–2nd Grade Laptop Pickup
Time: 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Location: McKinney ISD Stadium (4201 S. Hardin Blvd., McKinney, TX 75070)
Thursday, August 13th:
1st Day of School - Virtually
Instructional Day - 8:00AM-3:07PM