We are eager to welcome students who are joining us in-person on September 8, while still maintaining our connections and high levels of learning with those who are continuing in the Choice Remote option. If you are sending your child to join us in person, please remember to send him/her to school with a mask and a face shield if possible. The campus can provide a face mask for your child if needed. Face shields will not be provided to students other than in designated Fine Arts performing classes.
As you prepare to join us on campus, be assured that we have worked to implement many health safety measures to protect your child and our staff. We have shared these with you as part of our Campus Safety Plan (link below) and they also are posted on our district Reconnect 2020 website. One of the measures that goes over and above CDC and health requirements is the use of clear desk partitions. Our district ordered these in July and they were expected to arrive August 21st. We just learned that there is a manufacturer delay on the partitions. We hope to have these by mid-September and will immediately begin using these in our classrooms once they arrive. While we planned to have this extra measure in place as an added precaution, we are confident in the PPE and health safety protocols we have implemented on campus. Each classroom has EPA-approved cleaning products for use on high-touch areas, students will not share supplies, and students will be seated spaced apart and wearing face coverings, and will not be gathering in groups. With the cooperation of everyone with our campus safety measures, we are confident in our readiness for in-person learners.
First Day of In-Person Learning
7:45AM – 8:20AM: Students are allowed to enter into building. Students will go to their 7th period class
8:20AM – 1:00PM: Students will remain in their 7th period class to cover school procedures and build relationships. Remote students are encouraged to join their 7th period class through their normal Teams meeting to listen and participate with the Get to Know Activities with their peers. Each grade level will eat lunch in the cafeteria during their designated lunch time for the day. Times below are only for September 8:
- 10:40 – 11:10 6th Grade Lunch
- 11:30 – 12:00 7th Grade Lunch
- 12:30 – 1:00 8th Grade Lunch
1:00PM – 3:30PM: All students will go through their entire bell schedule to meet their teacher face-to-face and acclimate themselves to following their schedule.
Arrival and Pick up
- The Wayside Traffic pattern will be in place daily from 7:45 A.M.- 8:15 A.M. and 2:30 P.M. to 3:45 P.M.
- To ensure sanitation of the campus and to mitigate congestion, no parents or family members may walk students to class.
- Students dropped off in car lanes, biking or walking can arrive between 7:45AM – 8:15AM. Car drop off will be in the front of the school only. Students will enter through the cafeteria doors.
- Bus drop off will be behind the school. Busses will drop off students between 7:45AM - 8:15AM
- Only Buses will use the back of the building to pick up and drop off students. Please do not use the back drive or the athletic loop if your child is a car rider.
- All students will wear a face mask when arriving and dismissing.
- Upon arrival students will be greeted by an employee to make sure they are wearing a mask and sanitizing their hears upon entry into the building.
- Car Riders will pick up in the front of the building using the flow map from below.
- All car riders exit out the front doors, so please pull all the way to the end to pick up your student.
- Both left and right lanes are for cars stopping for drop off. The middle lane should be used for flowing through.
- We ask that all cars flow through the traffic pattern and please exit out onto Bailey Boswell. Using the other exit impedes the flow of traffic during drop off and pick up.
FIND YOUR BUS ROUTE
Access the bus schedule here: Or navigate to the EMSISD homepage and find it under Parents then Transportation. The portal will require login using the the student ID Number for both username and password.
Passing periods, Breakfast and Lunch
- Breakfast eaters will pick up a sack breakfast. Seats will be available in the cafeteria. After students complete breakfast they will go to their first assigned period.
- Students will be instructed to walk on the right side of the hallway during passing periods. Students will not be allowed to congregate or loiter between passing periods.
- Students will be allowed to use the restroom when needed.
- For lunch students will be escorted to the cafeteria and will be assigned a seat. Students will be required to wear a face mask unless they are eating or drinking.
- According to district guidance, regarding no cash transactions in the lunch line and to speed the check out process, students are encouraged to bring IDs from prior year (if within EMSISD) or use campus provided lunch card until new IDs are made in October.
- Please check to make sure money is deposited into your student’s lunch account before the first day of instruction or have them bring a sack lunch from home.
Participation in Athletics and Fine Arts
- Through guidance from the WMS Athletic Coordinators, students who remain as remote learners in 7th and 8th grade but are participating in a sport, will be allowed to come to campus before or after school to practice.
- Students participating in Fine Arts who are remaining remote, with guidance from their corresponding Fine Arts director, can also attend rehearsals and practices only before or after school as instructed by their director.
Changes in Cafeteria
- According to district guidance, there will be no cash handling in the cafeteria. Students may bring a lunch or you can utilize the School Bucks system and put money in their lunch account. Click here for more details about the School Bucks System.
- Students are also encouraged to bring IDs from prior year (if within EMSISD), campus provided lunch card will also be provided until new IDs are made in September
- The front office will only accept lunch deliveries from a parent or guardian (not food delivery services), and all lunch deliveries are strongly discouraged at this time.
Interested in creating a Parent Canvas Account? See information below
Video below walks students through some Canvas and teams features
John Fahey, Principal
Kayla Livingston, Assistant Principal (A-L)
Andrea Lasher, Assistant Principal (M-Z)