Teachers of Color Mentorship News
💻 Our 1st Whole Group Zoom Meeting 💻
Thank you for attending our first Zoom meeting that snowy Tuesday, November 29th evening! Amy Miller, the Coordinator of TDE/Q-Comp, attended and answered questions about the Teacher Development and Evaluation (TDE) and Individual Growth Plan (IGP) and we viewed the Q-Comp site. We learned about and discussed the Behavior Cycle as well as engaged in small group discussions in breakout rooms. Because of you, we are developing a supportive community. Thank you, again, for taking the time to Zoom in for our first virtual meeting!
Here are the slides for your reference. Feel free to contact any of the coordinators with any questions, comments, or concerns: Yen Huynh-Vue (Yen.Huynhvue@district196.org), Maribel Arellano (Maribel.Arellano@district196.org), Drew Riley (Drew.Riley@district196.org), and Claire Biolo (Claire.Biolo@district196.org).
CONNECT with partnerships at the next two in-person meetings from 4:30-6:30 p.m. They will be open to educators of color by invitation only.
-1/11/23 at Rosemount Community Center, Banquet Hall "Radical Self-Care 101" with Dr. Soojin Pate"
-2/1/23 at Dakota County United Educators Office
"Self-Awareness for Intentional Interactions" with Sam Taitel from Nonviolence Peaceforce
*Sign up in KeepCertified!
- the IGP (Individual Growth Plan): How is the process going?
- Tri 1 Observation: How did it go? What were your reflections/feedback?
- Professional Growth Goal: Where are you at with it?
- Check out the Q-Comp site for more information.
- With your partnership, role play the Behavior Cycle with a real situation.
- Attend Affinity Unite's (AU) next social gathering on Thursday, December 15 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. at Tavern Grill in Apple Valley.
- Attend future AU meetings held once a month at Apply Valley High School in the Community Room from 4:30-5:30 p.m.
-Thursday, February 16
-Wednesday, March 22
-Wednesday, April 12
-Wednesday, May 24
*Contact Kong Yang-GH, Brianna Latham-VMS, and/or Erica Solorio-AVHS for more information.
- View TED video: Get comfortable with being uncomfortable and discuss this 10-minute video with your partnership.
Date/Location: Wednesday, January 11, 2023 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Rosemount Community Center, Banquet Hall.
(This will be the third whole group required meeting for the Teachers of Color Mentorship Program Participants.)
This workshop dispels mainstream, capitalist understandings of self-care by centering the principles of self-care theorized by Black women. As we learn from them, not only do we realize that self-care is collective care, but it is also a powerful tool against oppression (-isms such as racism, sexism, heterosexism, classism, etc.). By attending this session, you will leave equipped with tangible ideas to restore and preserve your mental and emotional health in spaces that work to diminish you, diminish us. Come reclaim your mind and body by attending this workshop!
Dr. SooJin Pate is a professor, writer, and DEI consultant dedicated to centering the lives and experiences of historically marginalized peoples. She received her PhD in American Studies at the University of Minnesota. A proud alumni of Howard University, SooJin received her MA in English, specializing in African American and Caribbean literatures. She teaches comparative Race and Ethnic Studies and U.S. history and culture at various colleges in the Twin Cities area. She is the author of From Orphan to Adoptee: U.S. Empire and Genealogies of Korean Adoption and was named Educator of the Year and Ally of the Year by Macalester College. She is also the co-host of the Antiracist Parenting Podcast, host of Decolonize Yourself, and a proud steward of Million Artist Movement.
2022 Innocent Classroom Virtual Conference
All Relative: Defining Diego
Mindfulness and Stress Reduction Resources for People of Color
🧰 December Tool for Your Educator Toolkit
- Watch out for a surprise tool for the Teachers of Color Mentorship Program Participants, Affinity Unite Group Members, and Leaders of Color Members!
- It will be either mailed or hand delivered to you sometime in December.
💬🗨 Self-Awareness for Intentional Interactions Workshop
- February 1, 2023 from 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Dakota County United Educators Office. Location subject to change.
- Open to Teachers of Color Mentorship Program Participants, Affinity Unite Group Members, Cultural Family Advocates, and Leaders of Color Members by invitation only.
- This will be the fourth whole group required meeting for the Teachers of Color Mentorship Program Participants.