Central Heights Band Newsletter
February 3, 2023
- Solo Night (Thurs. 2/9) - this week!!
- Concert - Tuesday 2/28 @ Central Heights (Uniform Shirts are here!)
- Winter Conferences Sign-Up
Solo Night - Thursday February 9th (Graded Performance)
All Central Heights Band students are working on a short solo as part of their 3rd Band Assessment. Students will perform their solo and receive a mini lesson/critique from guest clinicians that we bring in. This is a required and important event and moment for all band students.
- Sign up for a 10 minute performance slot sometime between 3:35 - 6:30pm
- Parents/Caregivers are welcome to attend, but not required
- This is a casual event and students can wear normal school clothes
- If you have scheduling conflicts, please let me know ASAP and we'll reserve a time that works for you and/or come up with alternate performance plans
SIGN-UP LINK: HERE
Find a 10 minute time that works for you (leave time to get here a bit early to warm-up and at end for quick reflection)
- Rooms #1 & #2, Flute & Clarinet Only
- Room #3 - Trumpet & Horn
- Room #4 - Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
- Room #5 - Saxophone & ANY overflow
- Room #6 - Percussion (15 minute slots to all for mallet & snare solo)
*NOTE - students signed up for Saturday 2/11 Solo & Ensemble will not sign up for this event. See email from Mr. Melrose on 1/19 with Draft Schedule #1. Conflicts need to be reported by Monday 1/23.
Next Concert - Tuesday February 28th & Central Heights
CHMS February Concert – Tuesday February 28th
For this concert, we will be combining with Central Heights Orchestra and showcasing some student small ensembles as well.
- 6:30pm, 6th Grade Band & Orchestra (6pm warm-up)
- 7:30pm, 7th & 8th Grade Band & Orchestra (7pm warm-up)
- Central Heights Middle School Auditorium
- Students will now have their Central Heights Music Shirt!
- Please wear black pants, shoes, and socks (or as best as you can)
Winter Parent/Caregiver Conferences - Sign up Now!
At conference you can expect and/or ask about:
- Student's Self-Assessment in Band so far
- Goals & Practice Strategies
- Sound of Sun Prairie (8th Grade)
- Band Next Year
- Summer Band Opportunities
- Anything else!!
Black History Month - Music
- 6th Grade Band is learning "Hound Dog" inspired by it's original singer, Willie Mae Thornton (not Elvis).
- 8th Grade Band is learning a piece called "Spit-Fire" by Black composer, William Owens. This piece honors the Tuskegee Airmen of Word War II.
- All Bands are starting the day listening to great Black artists throughout history and on their instruments.
8th Grade Only - Sound of Sun Prairie Open House
You are all invited to learn more and check out one of Sun Prairie's most storied and celebrated music opportunities, the Sound of Sun Prairie summer marching band! If you're interested in learning more about this group, check out the dates below and feel free to reach out to Mr. Melrose (sign up for a conference above!).
Open House - Sunday, February 12th from 12:30-3:30pm at SP East
- This is an opportunity for students to see what a typical rehearsal experience is for this group.
Parent Information meeting - Tuesday February 21 at 7pm
Registration - Saturday, February 25 from 9am to 11am (drop in)
Students and parents can enter at door 3 for each of these events.
Band Calendar & Upcoming Dates
Cardinal Heights Band Calendar 2022 - 2023
Linked above is our calendar for the year. Please communicate in as much advance as possible with any conflicts and reach out if you have any questions.
Thursday February 9, Central Heights Solo Night, 3:45 - 6:30pm
Saturday February 11, WSMA Solo & Ensemble @ Central Heights
Tuesday February 14, Piano Solo Night @ SP East
Tuesday February 28, Central Heights Band & Orchestra Combined Concert
Friday March 3, SP Middle School Jazz Festival (after school, 6:30pm Concert)
Monday April 3, Band'O'Rama @ SP East, 7 - 8pm
Thursday May 4, Central Heights Spring Band Concert
Thursday May 25, 8th Grade attends "Beyond the Notes" Festival @ Kalahari
The Memorial Day performance is canceled for all Sun Prairie Middle School Bands. The Sound of Sun Prairie will still be performing and participating.
Band Lesson & Practice Tips
Every band student will receive a weekly private lesson for about 10 minutes with Mr. Melrose or Mr. Metcalf (part-time music teacher).
Want to know if how students are doing in their lesson?
- get connected to Google Classroom (if not already, send me an email & I'll get you connected)
SOLO Practice Tips:
- Do 50/50 practice - 50% of practicing just the really tough parts, 50% doing run throughs and focusing on big picture
- Find professional recordings, listen, and try to imitate what makes them sound good
- Practice playing for people, pets, and stuffed animals (who knows, maybe Toy Story is real?!?!!!!)
- 7th & 8th grade have new mallets & sticks to order. Check pg. 2 of the above document
- NEED HELP? Just ask.
How to order:
- Click button below "Ward-Brodt - Supplies"
- Select "Central Heights - Band"
- Select Instrument
If you have ANY questions, please do not hesitate to contact me:
CHMS Music Educator
(608) 318-8064 (Office)
608-618-2843 (Google Voice)