AES Community Connection 3/8/22
Stay connected with our school newsletter...
Dear AES Families,
Thank you for making time to attend conferences last week with your child's teachers and service providers. It is a very important time of year, and we appreciate your insights, questions and feedback. Your child's teacher will be reaching out if you did not meet last week, so be sure to connect.
As you may recall, I will be out this week for a medical procedure. I will be monitoring email, but if you have any urgent needs, please reach out to Sara Lowe or Virginia Leffler.
All my best,
Congratulations to our Fraser Writing Contest Winners!
CMAS 3rd and 4th Graders
CMAS (Colorado Measures of Academic Success) is coming in April. Please mark your calendars and avoid scheduling vacations and appointments on these days. We encourage ALL students to participate in CMAS testing. Please note changes to the 3rd grade schedule below.
ELA April 11, 13, 15
Math April 12, 14, 19
Last day for make-ups April 25th
ELA April 11th, 13th, 15th
Math April 19th, 20th, 22nd
Last day for make-ups April 25th
- March AES Lunch Menu
- The AES Student Handbook (Click here for Spanish) outlines expectations for our school.
- Aspen School District Absences and Excuses Policy (Click here for Spanish)
- AES Attendance (Click here for Spanish)
- Pre-Arranged Absence Form
- School Supplies and tech fees - Click here for more information.
- Please click HERE to see the staff's favorite things!
- Order SPIRIT WEAR anytime with this link!
Does your child ride the bus?
Bus Passes and Bus Changes:
If you need a new bus pass or want your child to catch a different bus home than usual, please visit the Transportation homepage. Links to the Bus Pass Replacement Form and the Bus Change Request Form can be found there. Students will not be allowed on a bus if they are not registered for a bus, and we will not be accepting handwritten notes or text messages from parents allowing students to ride a different bus.
What do I do if my child has symptoms or exposure to COVID-19?
- Please continue to keep you child home if they have symptoms and seek a covid test. Please call the health office to report any positve cases or use the link below.
- Note the isolation period for positive cases is 5 days with improved symptoms. Rapid antigen testing prior to returning to school is recommended, but not requrired.
- Close contacts are not required to quarantine, but should monitor for symptoms and test 5 days following exposure. Contact Pitkin County Public Health for questions.
- Families will notified if clusters of postive cases occur within a classroom and Public Health recommends wearing K95 masks in this case.
- Click here to report at-home positive test results related to ASD.
- Click here to review the PCH Testing and Isolation Algorithm for schools (updated Jan)
- Click here to access Pitkin County Health's covid webpage for more information
Aspen Family Connections Presents Understanding Substance Use and How It Impacts Our Children
Thursday March 10th, 5:30 pm Aspen Middle School Library
This will be an English only event. Soundcheck will do a specific evening with interpretation on their next visit.
Click HERE to see the flyer.
Aspen Family Connections Presents Affirming Voices
Monday, March 14th 6:30-8 pm Virtually on Zoom.
Click HERE for the flyer in English.
Click HERE for the flyer in Spanish.
More community news...
The Red Brick Youth Summer Camp
Red Brick Center for the Arts offers week-long day camps where children explore different themes through a variety of mediums such as papier-mâché, clay, mosaic, painting, collage and more! In addition to art making, campers will venture outside for a picnic and play in the park and enjoy weekly field trips to experience and see art in Aspen. Our elementary age camps run June 27 – August 19. Additionally we offer 3D Print Camp for middle school age students and Filmmaking Camp for Teens in partnership with Aspen Film!
To learn more and register visit HERE
Summer Productions of The Sound of Music & Gypsy
Theatre Aspen, in collaboration with the Aspen Music Festival and School, will be producing two shows this summer that includes parts for children: The Sound of Music and Gypsy.
Theatre Aspen is inviting young performers of any experience level, age 6-20 to audition for the roles below: All of these roles are for any race/ethnicity.
Liesl von Trapp (female-identifying) - age 16
Friedrich von Trapp (male-identifying) - age 14
Louisa von Trapp (female-identifying) - age 13
Kurt von Trapp (male-identifying)- age 10
Brigitta von Trapp female-identifying) - age 9
Marta von Trapp (female-identifying) - age 7
Gretl von Trapp - (female-identifying) - the youngest (no younger than 6)
Baby June – (female-identifying) – ages 8-10
Baby Louise – (female-identifying) – ages 10-12
Children’s’ Ensemble – any race/ethnicity and gender identification, ages 8-12
For audition information and to submit registration material:
Please note that audition submissions are due by Sunday, March 20 at 11:59 pm (MT). Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ACES Summer Camp Registration Begins March 7!
Come explore, discover, and wonder with ACES! ACES will be offering week-long summer camps at Hallam Lake and Rock Bottom Ranch June 13 - August 12, 2022 for students entering grades K-12. Registration begins Tuesday, March 7 at 9 a.m. Full and partial camp scholarships are available. For more information and to browse camps, please click HERE.
Theatre Aspen Education Classes & Camps
Brand New Class
Mondays @ 3:30, starting March 7th
Click HERE for the flyer.
Wednesdays @ 3:30, starting March 9th
Mar 28th - Apr 1st at AES, 9am-3pm
June 13th - August 12th, 9am-4pm
Click HERE for the flyer.
Whether your child is new to performing or adores playing and creating, Theatre Aspen’s programs are designed to bring out the best in our young artists. Students will let their creativity shine through theatre games, storytelling, art activities, and imaginative play!
Learn more & register at www.theatreaspen.org/education
WindWalkers & Rock Star Readers offer a Reading and Horse Back Riding Summer Camp
The camp will provide an intensive 5 week language immersion program for struggling readers ages 7–11 starting June 13th- July 15th offered 4 days a week (Monday- Thursday from 8:30 AM - 1PM). The program will provide small group Orton-Gillingham and Wilson based reading tutoring. After an intense morning of reading, campers will get lessons in horseback riding, horse/goat care, sensory trail rides and spend time enjoying art and music in a beautiful outdoor setting on WindWalkers’ Ranch.
Please click HERE for more information.
Mask Optional Guidance...Starting Feb 22
Please take a moment to read the most recent School Health and Safety Update which includes links to more information and a cool graphic.
Please keep in mind, there may be many students and staff who will feel more comfortable wearing a mask. Please respect their decision and help your child to respect that decision as well. This will be a wonderful opportunity to practice CARING for others.
After School Pick-Up Reminders...
- If you walk up to the school, please meet your child on the plaza on the side of the building.
- Students in 3rd and 4th grade may walk to the "rock" at the edge of the parking lot on their own.
- Please remind your child if they have a pick-up change for the day.
- We will remind all students that they are to meet their pick-up adult on the plaza or by the rock.
Thank you! We are seeing a lot of congestion on the sidewalk as we are trying to load the buses. Your help is appreciated.
Aspen Elementary SKIERS
At AES our essential agreements guide the way we behave and interact with others throughout our school in every setting. This year, we've adopted the SKIER acronym as a way to frame our essential agreements school wide. We hope that you will reinforce these positive attributes with your child at home.