LEAD Innovation Studio
Vol. 4, Issue 17 - December 18, 2020
NOTE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
We hope everyone has a safe and happy break and holiday season.
LEADERSHIP CLUB PROJECT
The freshman Leadership club at LEAD asks you to donate gently used clean clothes for their Do Good December Project. All donations will be given to the Park Hill PTA Clothing Center. The Community Time group that donates the most clothing items will get a free Chick-fil-a sandwich card (to be passed out after winter break). Please have the clothing items dropped at the LEAD building by the end of the day on December 22, 2020. The Park Hill PTA Clothing Center said they are most in need of boy/men’s clothing from sizes 5T- adult sizes; however, every single piece of clothing donated is appreciated. Your child should bring donations to their 3rd block class on Monday (12/21) or Tuesday (12/22) next week where they will be counted and collected. Thank you so much for giving back to our community!
For more information about this resource for Park Hill families, visit the Park Hill PTA Clothing Center’s web page: https://www.parkhill.k12.mo.us/family_resources/pta_clothing_center ”
LEADERSHIP CLUB SUPPORTING RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE
The Freshman Leadership club is hosting a drive for Ronald McDonald House charities. The purpose of the Ronald McDonald House Charities is to help families during their health care journey and reduces stress and financial burden for families when they must travel far from home to access medical care for their child.
The items we are collecting are:
- Boxed disposable latex gloves
- Hand sanitizer
- paper towels
- Ziploc bags- sandwich & gallon size
- Liquid hand soap
- Disinfectant wipes
- Disinfectant spray
- Trash bags-both 13-gal. and 4.5-gal
- Disposable plates, bowls, cups, and coffee cups with lids.
12/21 - 12/22 SCHEDULE
Monday: In person day for last name A-K
Tuesday: In person day for last name L-Z
Wednesday: WINTER BREAK BEGINS!!!
Individual Junior meetings with your counselor will be from, January 4-January 22, to review your ICAP- Individual Career and Academic Plan. Check your email with more information on how to sign up through Calendly.
This meeting is required! Please bring your laptop to our meeting!
Hybrid Students: Select a meeting date/time on an In Person day: When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. On the day of your scheduled meeting, create an e-hall pass to come meet with your counselor.
Online Students: When you sign up, your selected date and time will automatically be added to both your and your counselor’s outlook calendars. Your counselor will video conference you on Microsoft Teams or send you a Zoom link at your scheduled time.
For your reference, you can access the Junior ICAP Presentation Here:
Mrs. Shanks- LEAD Counselor (Last Names A-K)
Mrs. Colvin- LEAD Counselor (Last Names L-Z)
END OF COURSE TESTING
Parents of Online and In-Person students who will be taking one or more EOC’s have received information about which days your student will test and where to report for testing. Online and In-person teachers have been and will continue to provide details to students about their test day. All EOC testing will take place at LEAD.
-Online testing: January 6
-In-Person testing: January 7-12
-Make-up test day: January 13
Assistant Principal – LEAD Innovation Studio
PARENT ADVISORY COMMITTEE
In case you missed the Parent Advisory Meeting for first quarter, here are a few highlights:
- End of First Semester/ End of Course Exams - We discussed the schedule for the semester and the fact that it ends after winter break (on 1/15). We will be holding EOC exams after the winter break and will be sharing more details soon. There are 4 classes which have state mandated EOC exams: Government, ELA 2, Biology, and Algebra.
- In person learning - distance learning schedules/ things to know: We reviewed some key components of the schedule used for last and this week and some explanation of why that schedule was utilized. A priority was placed on mirroring our hybrid schedule as closely as possible to provide a smooth transition into and out of distance learning. We have had a very successful 2 weeks of distance learning.
- Facility Updates - while minor projects continue to be completed, the building is largely finished and fully operational. The facility is beautiful and does an amazing job supporting student learning. We very much look forward to hosting events for our families once it is safe to do so.
- Seniors - LEAD celebrations - we have received many questions from seniors and senior families (As well as questions from younger grades) about graduation ceremonies. LEAD students will walk and be a part of commencement at their home high school. We are also planning on a LEAD specific celebration (in many ways we have been working on that for 4 years). As we approach May, and have a better idea of the state of the pandemic, we will be ironing out those details. We plan to engage with our students, families, and staff to solicit feedback and input on a LEAD celebration. Stay tuned!
The next Parent Advisory meeting is March 8, 7:00.
PSAT scores are available. To access scores, students will need to log into their college board account. In addition, an email with an access code should be emailed to students by college board. If your student needs to set up a college board account please use this link below:
LEAD A+ TUTORING AVAILABLE!!
10th, 11th and 12th grade LEAD A+ students can now sign up to tutor their peers, either face to face or virtually, and get A+ hours for their time and effort! If your student would like to tutor, they need to fill out the A+ Tutors Application which can be found under the Resources tab in their Schoology LEAD A+ group.
If you feel that your child could benefit from meeting with a tutor, they can sign up for one in Summit. Please have your student follow these directions to access the request form:
- Open Summit and in the left blue field, select the 20-21 LEAD Homeroom course
- Scroll down to the LEAD Info and Useful Documents
- Select LEAD Community
- Scroll down to Resources and select the LEAD Tutoring request
Our goal is to have a tutor assigned to the request in one work week.
PH ONLINE SUPPORT
Park Hill Online Support is a resource for parents/guardians and students as they navigate the online learning experience. Call center staff are trained in navigating online educational software such as Seesaw, Schoology, Edgenuity, and Infinite Campus. They can also help with online assessments and finding resources. Have a question or a problem and you’re not sure whom can answer it or who can help? Call Park Hill Online Support at 816-359-4404 or email us at email@example.com.
Here is a link to PH Parent University with additional resources and information.
To view current missing assignments for the term, instructions are in the photo below.
If you'd like to acknowledge your student's birthday, sporting events at the home high school - pictures in action or in uniform, future plans (college, trade school, etc.) send us a picture so that we can celebrate with you.
JOSTENS - CLASS RINGS & GRADUATION INFORMATION
- January 21 & 22 - Sophomore class ring premier (socially distanced class meeting). Order/information packets distributed
- January 25 & 26 (lunch periods) - Class ring orders
- February 2 & 4 - Additional ring orders
- March 12 (lunch periods) - Grad announcement delivery
- March 17 - Additional grad announcement delivery
- April 8 & 9 (lunch periods) - Class ring delivery
- April 15 (lunch periods) - Cap/gown delivery
- April 21 - Additional cap/gown delivery
SENIORS A+ DEADLINES!!
Here is a list of important "To-Do" items for Seniors who are planning on receiving an A+ scholarship. Depending on first or second semester graduation, these items should be done no later than December (fall graduate) or late April (spring graduate). For any of the items that need to be submitted, please submit them directly to your home high school's A+ coordinator and NOT Ms. Villalobos at LEAD. Ellen Reys at PHHS: firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Owens at PHS: email@example.com
ASAP: Parents will need to help with this step and use last year's tax return. Students need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms due . All FAFSA information is available at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
December or April: A+ Attendance appeals & documentation due (if necessary)
December or April: ALL Mentoring and Tutoring hours (50) due
December or April: Final Senior Reflection due (will be sent to your school e-mail)
December or April: Complete Final Transcript Request through Naviance (transcript & A+ funds will be delayed if not completed)