The Civil War
Alejandrina Piedra October 14,2016
the 5 W's
- who? the union and the confederacy
- what? the civil war was fought between the United States of America and the Confederate States of America, a collection of eleven southern states that left the Union in 1860 and 1861 and formed their own country in order to protect the institution of slavery.
- when?April 12, 1861 – May 9, 1865
- where?The Civil War was fought in thousands of different places, from southern Pennsylvania to Texas; from New Mexico to the Florida coast. The majority of the fighting took place in the states of Virginia and Tennessee. The Civil War was also contested on the Atlantic Ocean as far off as the coast of France, the Gulf of Mexico, and the brown water of the Mississippi River and its tributaries
- why? the Confederates bombarded Union soldiers at Fort Sumter, South Carolina on April 12, 1861.
one interesting fact
. One-third of the soldiers who fought for the Union Army were immigrants, and nearly one in 10 was African American.