The Weekly Update #9 10/2
September 18th, 2023
Weekly News (Week of October 2nd)
Principal Nelson's Thoughts
Need to Know
- Cultural Night is October 12th from 5-7pm. Check out this video to learn more about cultural night. We love for you to participate! See more details below in PTO Updates.
- The Literati Book Fair is coming! Get ‘clued’ into the best new books during October 9 – 13 and during Cultural Night. Our online fair is already active. See details below.
- Each year, Sharon Elementary partners with Safe Routes for Walk to School Day. Our second Walk to School Day is Wednesday, October 4th. See more details below.
- Please see the flyer below to learn more about the Stakeholder Summit, which provides stakeholders an opportunity to learn more about workforce development in Forsyth County schools.
- K-12 Online Learning Day is on October 19th, which is also a day available for Parent Conferences. Teachers will be reaching out directly to set up conferences.
- If you are in need of a device for your student to complete work at home, please see more details below.
- October 20th is a student holiday.
- The Forsyth County Health Department is partnering with Forsyth County Schools to conduct a No-Cost Flu Shot Clinic. Please see details below.
- We have had a few incidents with glass containers in the lunch room and during snack. Please consider alternative containers to ensure safety and limit classroom disruptions.
- All ice cream birthday orders must be placed in SchoolPay no later than 4pm on the Thursday before the week you would like to celebrate the birthday.
- Past newsletters are archived on our school website and can be found here
Need to do
- You're invited to attend Sharon's annual Cultural Night on October 12th from 5-7 pm. We are looking forward to a great night celebrating the diverse cultures and traditions that make up the Sharon family!
- We need families to host a table to teach the Sharon family about what makes your family special. Ideas for table presentation ideas are:
- -food samples and artifacts from another country or state
- -holidays you celebrate such as Diwali, May Day, Mardis Gras, or Indigenous Peoples Day
- -any tradition your family does
- We are also looking for music and dance performances celebrating your culture, state, country, and family traditions. We also welcome performances from family members. If you'd like to sign up to participate or to volunteer at this event, sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0D44AFAF2BABFD0-44408364-cultural#/
- Whether you present a table or just want to attend, save the date on your calendar. You're not going to want to miss this FREE night of fun!
Volunteer Role Spotlight: Formal Dance Chair
- Are you decisive and organized? Then we need YOU for the Formal Dance! There are several moving parts, and this is the job that makes decisions and keeps us on point. You'll have the support of a committee for getting individual pieces done, and a PTO Board Member for everything else, but we need your leadership to oversee those parts and keep us moving forward.
- Go to SharonPTO.com today and let us know you can help!
- Time to Buy Your Yearbook!
- Order your 5th Grade Yearbook Dedication
- Families of 5th graders: if you want to have a personal message to your 5th grader in the yearbook, be sure to submit your congratulatory message to them by 11/30/23. You can submit your message and picture HERE . If you have questions, you can find samples and more details HERE.
Counseling and Castle Updates
From the Counselors:
- We are excited to kick off our 7 Mindsets this month with our first Mindset, Everything is Possible! Here is a great video to watch with your family! Everything is Possible has 4 pillars or main ideas: Dream Big, Embrace Creativity, Think Positively and Act and Adjust. These pillars help motivate us and create success!
- 25-29-No School (Fall Break)
- 3- PTO General Meeting (6:00 pm)
- 4- Walk to School Day
- 6 - Sharon Strong, We all Below (wear Sharon spirit wear)
- 6- 7 Mindset Student of the Month celebration (7:45 cafe)
- 9- 13-Literati Book Fair
- 10- Ties and Tutus
- 11- PTO Board Meeting: Tower
- 12- Cultural Night 5-8pm (gym and cafe)
- 13- National M&M Day (wear your favorite M&M color)
- 13- End of Quarter 1
- 19- Online Learning Day (K-12)/ Parent Conferences
- 20- Student Holiday
Click to see our School Calendar for more dates throughout the year!
⭐ Shining Knights ⭐
3rd Grade Scientists
4th Grade Super Heroes!
Online Learning Device Requests
All of Forsyth County Schools will be involved in our first planned system wide Online Learning Day on Thursday, October 19th.
If you are a family that needs a device for your child to complete work at home, please complete the form as soon as possible to see if you are eligible to receive one of our Emergency Connectivity Funds (ECF) Chromebooks. We only have a limited number of devices remaining to be checked out to students. Families who are undergoing financial hardships will be prioritized.
If your application to receive one of these devices is approved, you will receive a follow up email from our ETC, Sara Pritchard with additional steps. If you have questions, please email our ETC at email@example.com
Book Fair Details
The Literati Book Fair is coming! Do you have what it takes to Crack the Case? Get ‘clued’ into the best new books on October 9 – 13 and during Cultural Night. Our online fair is already active: https://efairs.literati.com/?school=sharon-elementary-school-suwanee-ga. Create an account and shop online for books. You can also purchase a gift card for your child, or your teacher’s child, for use at our fair. If you are willing to volunteer, please use this link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080F4DACA72CA02-literati1 to sign-up.
Walk to School Day Details
Each year, Sharon Elementary partners with Safe Routes to School and we are so excited for our second Walk to School Day of the 2023-2024 school year on Wednesday, October 4th. Safe Routes encourages students and families to be active in getting to school. Families can “walk to school” from their neighborhood, using the sidewalks on James Burgess and Old Atlanta. If you don’t live close enough to actually walk, but you’d still like to participate, you can park in the parking lot of SoFo and Brunch at Peony and use the crosswalk at James Burgess and Old Atlanta to walk to school. All students must be accompanied by an adult. All car riders must be dropped off in the car line, as usual.