What We Are Learning This Week
Great Expectation Life Principle: Integrity
Social Studies: Writing Camp
Writing: Expository Writing (Writing to Explain)
Reading: Mixed Genres
Language: Sentence combining, revision, and editing
Don't forget your books for library on Tuesday.
Morning Tutorials Are Open - 7:10-7:40 am
In our class, students who attend will receive a healthy snack when they bring their attendance ticket to me.
Important!!! Be Sure to Join Us On:
Edmodo - Our Communication System & Protected Learning System
Go to www.edmodo.com.
Have your student sign in. (Username and password are inside front agenda cover.)
Scroll down the left side of the page until you see Parent Code. Write this code down.
Logout (upper right corner, click on “Me” and select Logout).
Go to www.edmodo.com and select “I’m a Parent” (under blue box that reads “I’m a Teacher”).
Enter your student’s code and set up your account.
Make sure to go Account (upper right corner, click on “Me”) and select "Settings". You can select to have email or text alerts for specific items.
On our Edmodo site, you can see:
Daily agenda (planner/calendar)
Homework links (Folder->Classroom Information)
Subject area links
- Determine a fixed spot to plug in your Chromebook EVERY night so that it is charged and ready to go the next day. We have found that this step is crucial to keeping your Chromebook working properly. Keep your charger in your laptop bag when not charging.
- Please be sure to keep case free and clean. Stickers and moisture can damage devices.
- Make sure you bring your Chromebook every day in the computer bag/sleeve. This is an essential school supply, not an extra.
- Monitor your child's computer usage in a common area.
- If students are not taking care of their computer responsibly, computers will stay at school. If you would prefer that it stays at school, please just let me know.
Homework Expectations: 1. Read a minimum of 20 minutes nightly and complete reading log. 2. NEW CHANGE - Each night students will complete a worksheet, SHOWING ALL WORK. 3. Practice vocabulary words. Test on Friday.
This Week's Vocabulary Words
Each child will be tested on Friday. Students are expected to be able to use these words in sentences. These are words we use day-to-day, so a functional use is critical to learning and understanding.
- interpret - to make sense of or to explain the meaning
- divisibility rules - rules for determining whether one whole number is divisible by another
- divisible - able to be split evenly into parts
- equal groups - collections with the same amount of items in each
- at least - a syllable in front of a root word
- prefix - a syllable in front of a root word
- personal experience - something that has happened to you
- punctuation - marks that clarify writing and signal expression
- sequential - coming in a regular order, one after another
- categorizing - sorting by type or rank
- nationalities - cultures or groups of people with common origins
- comparative adjective - adjective is used when you compare two items
- superlative adjective - adjective is used when you compare three or more items
- expository writing - a type of writing that is used to explain, describe, give information, or inform
- topic sentence - the sentence in an expository paragraph which summarizes the main idea of that paragraph
- language - word or speech system of a nation or people
- race - a large group with common genetic heritage
- quotation marks - punctuation used to set off speech in writing
- suffix - letters put at end of word to change meaning
- integrity - the quality of honesty and moral principles
You can practice these words on Edmodo using the Vocabulary Spelling City app.
(Click on the 2x2 array of on the far right. When the apps window opens, select Vocabulary Spelling City, and go to Vocabulary Week 27 in the yellow section. There are lots of games to help you learn your words!)
To set up your account, enter your email address as your username. If you don't' remember your password, click the link. If at any time you are prompted for your student's ID number, just ask her/him to tell you her/his lunch number.
Dates to Remember
Monday, Mar. 21st
Rock Band Performs at School Board Meeting
Tuesday, Mar. 22nd
Fourth Grade Music Performance 6:00 (Students report to Music room by 5:45)
Wednesday, Mar. 23rd
Math Egg Hunt (Each child needs 12 plastic eggs filled with NON-CHOCOLATE goodies.)
Thursday, Mar. 24th
Awards Assembly at 8:00
Friday, Mar. 25th
Good Friday Holiday - No School
Tuesday, Mar. 29th
Fourth Grade S.T.A.A.R. Writing Test
Friday, Apr. 15th
Career Day - Speakers Wanted!
Tuesday, Apr. 19th
Friday, Apr. 22nd
Recycle Fashion Show
Saturday, Apr. 23rd
Kinder Round Up at Zellars
Wednesday, April 27th
Kinder Round Up 5:00-8:00
Thursday, April 28th
Kinder Round Up 5:00-7:00
WANTED: Used Dryer Sheets
Used dryer sheets for whiteboard erasers.
WANTED: Playing Cards
If you have decks of playing cards or UNO games, we would love to use them for math.
WANTED: Old Scrabble Tiles
If you have an old Scrabble set, we can use the letter tiles for our Word Work activities.