Greek word that means premature aged.
Daily Life of Progeria
Symptoms of Progeria
- Visible veins
- Fragile bones
- High pitched voice
- Hair loss including eyelashes/eyebrows
- Slow growth below average height and weight
Type of mutation of this disorder is an point mutation. A point mutation is a mutation affected only one or very few nucleotides in a gene sequence.
Chromosome 1 is affected.
The gene that is mutated is Lamin A.
The sad thing about having progeria is there's no cure. You may take medications to try to help alleviate symptoms.
- Fewer than 20,000 US causes per year occur randomly and isn't inherited.
- 1999-October 2014 $18.5 million raised
- Slow growth and hair loss begin 1st year or 2.
- Both sexes and any race are equally to get progeria.