West Homer Elementary
The learning community of West Homer Elementary inspires and supports all students to be lifelong learners with the courage and confidence to make positive contributions to the world.
The mission of West Homer Elementary School is to build strong connections among community, families, staff, and students in a safe, healthy, nurturing environment that challenges each student.
A Note from Principal Waltenbaugh
One of our goals as a staff this year is to live our mission statement, to rebuild the strong relationship between the school, community and families after these past two years that required so much separation and distance. We want you in our school, as much as you are able, and we are seeking your input, support and assistance in making this the best educational environment possible for all our students. You are such a vital part of what makes West Homer such a strong community of learners.
OPEN HOUSE Thursday, August 25th 5:00pm - 6:00pm
SCHOOLWIDE PORTRAIT PROJECT
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL
ARRIVAL: Doors open at 7:30am. Instruction begins at 8:00am.
Families can drop off their children anywhere in the designated yellow drop zone like an airport. Please note buses will be traveling in the lane next to you so please signal when pulling out. Please pull forward as far as possible without blocking the cross walk and make sure you child is ready for their hug/kiss goodbye so they can exit efficiently and make room for the vehicle behind you.
Breakfast is served from 7:30 - 7:55am
Students who arrive late to school must enter through the main door of the building and sign in at the office with Ms. Joni.
Traffic flow moves like an airport: Inside lane closest to school is for pick up, then move to outer lane as you leave. Students will be waiting outside of the main building entrance. When your student sees your car, they will let a staff member know which car is theirs. Staff will release your child and they will load into your car from the curb side only. This is a safety precaution as the outside lane will have moving cars.
You can also park and walk up to the entrance or even into the foyer to pick up your student. Just make sure to connect with a staff member who is out front and only cross traffic at the crosswalk.
In an effort to minimize the back up of cars onto the Sterling Highway, please don't start forming the pick up line until after 2:40pm. If you arrive before that, please park and come inside.
There will be a walking crosswalk near the Fireweed side awning as there has been in the past. Students who walk home will cross there and be free to walk home.
MEET THE STAFF
SCHOOL LUNCH ACCOUNTS
School Lunch Accounts
- The Covid relief money that supplied free lunches for all is now over.
- Please fill out the Free and Reduced Lunch application here, even if you don’t think you will qualify
- There are 2 main ways to add money to your student’s lunch account:
- Bring money to our main office and give to Joni (write a check)
- Download the KPBSD app (free) and create an account. Then, under “Online Payments” you can set up your account with a card to add money directly.
- If you don’t know your student’s ID number, feel free to give us a call or email
- This year, your student cannot have more than 2 lunches “on credit” if there is no money in the lunch account. After that, the system will not allow us to sell them a lunch.
- This school year, the KPBSD is requiring all elementary school doors to be locked during the academic school day. We understand this may be an inconvenience for some parents and staff, but the KPBSD holds school safety to the utmost level. The district is in the process of changing out traditional locking doors with electronic locking mechanisms, which will ease the burden of this change in the future.