Cougars ROAR: TEMS Community News
Issue I: September 23, 2022
Welcome to the first issue of the Cougars R.O.A.R. Community News for the 2022-23 school year. This monthly newsletter will be sent to families to help share important TEMS information. In addition to highlighting upcoming events, the community news will offer updates from faculty and students. This newsletter will supplement the middle school communications, not replace them. These will always be emailed through School Messenger and then linked to the TEMS website.
I want to take this opportunity to compliment the TEMS community on such an incredible start. I continue to be grateful to be part of this school family, and am excited to share exciting things that we are bringing back in the coming months to offer students a middle school experience worth celebrating.
Happy fall TEMS, have a great month!
Cougars ROAR: Introducing our NEW Schoolwide Behavior Expectations
- We demonstrate RESPECT when we consider the needs of others and treat others the way we hope to be treated.
- We demonstrate OWNERSHIP when we are responsible for our actions, our learning, and personal growth.
- We demonstrate ACCEPTANCE when we acknowledge and celebrate the great diversity in our community and consider how we talk across differences to learn and grow.
- We demonstrate RESILIENCE when we try- and try again- even when (especially when) things are hard.
As partners in your children's growth and development I hope that you can also help to promote these attributes to maintain a safe school environment. Please review the R.O.A.R Matrix to read more about what this looks like in schools. This was developed with input from staff, families, and students and we welcome ongoing feedback and support.
School Counseling Information
TEMS Parent- Teacher Organization Spirit Wear
Join us for our next meeting on October 27th. This meeting will be held virtually.
Student STAR Scores: Benchmark Assessments for Content Literacy and Mathematics
- Star Assessments are short tests that provide teachers with personalized learning data for each student.
- Star Assessment reports do not include student's specific response to questions.
- Star tests are computer adaptive, which means they adjust in difficulty to each answer students provide. This helps teachers get the best data to help students in the shortest amount of testing time
- We are sharing a student’s Percentile Rank (PR). A Percentile Rank ranges from 1–99 and compares student performance to other students in the same grade nationwide. For example, a student with a percentile rank score of 37 performed as well as or better than 37 percent of other students in the same grade nationally.
- The scores are used to help plan instruction and to match resources to learners.
- Class placement, access to enrichment or intervention, or other individual student decisions are NEVER made based on one score on assessment. We ALWAYS consider a student’s performance across multiple measures over time.
- The purpose of sharing scores is to communicate a student's achievement and growth throughout the academic year.
TETV Morning News
Stay Engaged: News from Our Family Engagement Specialist
You can contact Ms. Mills by calling 860.648.5030 Ext.293 or emailing email@example.com
Tech Tip for Families: News from Our Technology Content Coach
Mrs. Debbie Matchett is our school's Technology Content Coach. She supports educators, students, and families in navigating technological tools that can enrich educational experiences. This month Mrs. Matchett offers important information about GoGuardian:
South Windsor Public Schools utilizes GoGuardian software to help schools easily manage their student devices, better understand their students, and keep them safer online during the school day. Parents/Guardians have the ability to download and use the GoGuardian Parent App. This App provides Parents and Guardians with the ability to pause their students' internet, block specific websites, and schedule internet availability outside of the school day on the district managed device. Click Here to learn more.
Teaching and Learning: News from Our Instructional Coaching Team
Mrs. Alison Fetta and Mr. Kent Besocke are instructional coaches that support faculty and staff in providing instruction that meets the needs of our diverse learners at TEMS. This month they are offering a few important tips to engage student's curiosity:
As a parent how can I encourage my child to be curious? One way is to remember that it is the question and not the answer that engages students. So, what can I do as a parent? Ask your child open-ended questions that inspire them to search for their own answers because open-ended questions cannot be answered with a yes or a no or a shrug of the shoulders. The following phrases can help generate curiosity:
What would happen if …
What would it be like to …
Why did …
How do we know that …
What did you think when …
Job Opportunities in the South Windsor Public Schools
The South Windsor Public Schools has openings for caring, dedicated paraprofessionals in many of our schools. We need your help to find individuals interested in working in our amazing district with wonderful students, staff, parents, and community!
We have part-time and full-time positions, offer room for advancement, provide dedicated professional development time to continue to build skills, and have an excellent benefit package. Whether you are interested in assisting students in academics, behavior and social skill development, classroom support, or being part of our amazing specialty programs, we have opportunities for you!
Paraprofessionals are an essential part of our schools. If you are someone who believes in the power of a high-quality education, who champions equity and inclusion, and who is ready to be part of an exceptional team working to prepare students to achieve their own personal excellence in a complex global society, then we hope you’ll consider joining the South Windsor Public Schools. Please talk to your friends, neighbors, and relatives who may be looking for a new job opportunity as well! We invite applicants to join a team of exemplary teachers, administrators, and support staff working to shape an exciting time in the South Windsor community.
For more information, please contact any of our school principals or Special Education Supervisors Kim Sokale at firstname.lastname@example.org or Eve Hurley at email@example.com. Please visit our website for more information about these positions: https://www.applitrack.com/southwindsor/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Support+Staff