Welcome Back to School
2023 Tauranga Primary School Pānui
Feature Newsletter Sponsor
Translate function for our newsletter
Tumuaki Pānui | Principal's Newsletter
Tēnā koutou katoa
Ngā mihi nui, kia koutou katoa - Warm greetings to you all.
Happy New Year to all our TPS families.
We are all looking forward to the learning year ahead.
This newsletter contains back to school notices regarding:
- 31st January - Whānau Connect Day information - please book a time to meet your child's teacher(s).
- School Office opening hours
- School Uniform
- 2023 Term Dates
- 2023 Staff
- Term 2 2023, Out of Zone Ballot closes on the 3rd of February. Completed enrolment forms must be received prior to this date.
The 1st of February is the first full day back at school for all students.
The first day back will be filled with excitement and maybe some anxiety as well. Please reassure your child that everything will be fine and that they do have the skills and strategies to cope with this next new adventure in 2023. Talk through any concerns that they may have, and help them work on strategies to manage their concerns. For example, if finding friends is a worry, then setting up a meeting point with their friends for break times could help, or organise a play date prior to school starting to re-kindle or start new friendships. If the concern is about moving to the "big side" in 2023, then bring them into school to play prior to school starting so they can get familiar with the playgrounds and have a peek through the windows at their new class.
Most importantly, it will be your approach to their concerns that will influence how they will respond - speak positively about school, their teacher, and their ability to cope and manage this new year of school.
On the morning of the 3rd of February, we will host a mihi whakatau to welcome new families and staff to our TPS community. All families are welcome to attend, a separate notice will come out about this closer to the time.
On the 23rd of February, we host a family picnic 5-7pm. The picnic is an opportunity to meet our school community, share our plans for the 2023 school year and for you to meet the teachers in your child's teaching team. TPS families bring along a picnic style dinner to eat on the fields on the senior site. Mark this date in your diary.
Enjoy the last few weeks of the school holidays, I look forward to seeing everyone back at school on the 1st of February.
Ngā mihi maioha
Whānau Connect Day - 31st January 2023
Kia ora TPS whānau,
This year we are hosting a Whānau Connect Day, on Tuesday 31st January, 2023, which is the day before school starts for the children.
This is a new initiative for us, and our aim is to strengthen whakawhanaungatanga (building of relationships, working together, getting to know each other) between home and school.
At the Whānau Connect day our TPS teachers would like to meet with each family in their class, with the intention of listening to your thoughts about the year ahead, and what is important for your child and their learning in 2023. It is a chance to reconnect or get to know each other, pass on any relevant information, put a face to a name, and set some goals.
Interviews are from 8am to 7pm, we aim to meet with all TPS families this day. If you are unable to attend your child's teacher will be in touch during the first two weeks of school to book an alternative time.
Children are welcome to attend the interview with you.
To book a time for your whānau connect session, please go to:
Our school code for this event is: mtk47
Ngā mihi nui,
Holiday School Office Hours
9:00am to 2:00pm
26th, 27th and 31st January.
To start the 2023 school year, there will be no school fees or donations requested. The only cost that we request is for school stationery. Stationery can be purchased directly from the school and all of your child's stationery needs for the year will be provided directly to the classroom as needed throughout the year.
School Stationery 2023:
Your child's stationery for 2023 will be included in their school account from early January.
There are three ways you can pay:
- through the 'school shop'
- via eftpos at the office
- directly into our bank account (12-3440-0009600-00) Please reference your child (SURNAME, first initials, Stationery)
We have negotiated with our suppliers excellent stationery prices for 2023:
- Year 1 $46.00 New Entrants: 5 year olds who are new to TPS in 2023.
- Year 1 $30.00 Returning Year 1 students - Rms 14, 15, 17 & 19
- Year 2 $36.00 Rms 11, 12 & 13 (new students to TPS will also need a book bag & whiteboard )
- Year 3 $56.00 M3 & M4 (book bag & whiteboard included)
- Year 4 $45.00 M3 & M4 (new students to TPS will also need a book bag & whiteboard)
- Year 5 $49.00 SH 1 & 2 (whiteboard included)
- Year 6 $43.00 SH 1 & 2 (new students to TPS will also need a book bag & whiteboard)
Extras if required: whiteboards $6.70 and book bags $4.00
Summer uniform details:
Items that can be purchased via the school office
(see above for January office opening hours)
- Polo shirt - navy with school logo
- Navy shorts or skort.
- Polar fleece - royal blue with school logo.
- Sunhat - with school logo
Items that can be purchased independently of school supplies:
Plain navy for Terms 1 and 4 – there are three options:
Aussie brim, drill flap legionnaire or bucket. No logos or basketball caps, please. If children do not have a sunhat they will not be permitted to play outside of shaded areas in break times.
Summer: sneakers, slides or sandals. For safety reasons, jandals are discouraged as children are more likely to trip over when running with these or get caught up on play equipment.
Any hair ties or other accessories must be royal blue, navy, black, hair coloured or white. All hair shoulder length or longer is to be tied up, this helps prevent the spread of headlice. Please keep sparkly and dramatic hair wear for the weekends :-) .
Jewellery: watches and plain ear studs or small hoops are acceptable. Taonga (treasure) of cultural or religious importance can be worn.
The expectation is that all children will arrive at school with sunblock applied. There is sunblock available in all classes for use during the day.
Term 1 is a 'swimming term' Please send your child to school with togs and towel daily. Our new entrant students will need to be able to get changed in and out of their togs independently. It may be worthwhile practising prior to school starting if this skill is not yet quite mastered.
LASTLY - please name everything clearly, it is impossible to return uniform items that are not named or the name has faded beyond recognition. Every term we have a significant amount of unclaimed (unnamed or unreadable names) uniform items. Unclaimed uniform items that are in good condition are washed and sold via second-hand office sales or gifted to families.
Please note that the 24th of April has been added as a Teacher Only Day to our 2023 calendar, this is a day provided by th e Ministry of Education for teachers to learn about the (soon to be released) refreshed English and Mathematics Curriculums.
There is a second day to be allocated to schools in 2023. Once we know the date we will advise our parent community.
2023 Teaching Staff:
Teachers can be contacted via email - the full list of teachers and contact emails can be found on our website:
Pam Wilkins (Team Leader)
Jen West, Jana Smith, Emma Hyett, Fiona Brown, Briar Parker, and Michaela Murray.
Sarah Arensen will start the New Entrant roll growth class in Term 3
Jason Morgan (Team Leader)
Liz Catley, Kelly Savage, Luka Jugum, Arlette Goodhue
Jo Howard (Team Leader)
Paul Mahler, Joy Beattie, Kirsty Thorne (returning from leave) and Dave Medley
- Sarah Arensen will be working part-time as a literacy and numeracy support teacher in the junior school for Term 1.
- Sandra Thurlow will be working as a release teacher, and in our children with additional needs programme.
- Kylie Rae will be working as a release teacher in the middle and senior teams.
- Holiday school office hours (for uniform sales and new enrolments): 9:00am to 2:00pm 26th, 27th and 31st January.
- 31st January - Whānau Connect day - online booking will be sent to parents in January, parents to meet with their whānau teacher to share their priorities for the learning year ahead.
- 1st February - Students' first day
- 3rd February - 9:00am Mihi whakatau - welcoming new students and families to TPS. Parents invited to attend.
- 6th February - Waitangi Day - School Closed
- 14th February - BOT meeting 7:00pm
- 23rd February - Family Picnic - setting the scene for 2023 - 5:00-7:00pm
Enrolment for Term 1 2023 - ballot was on 21st October 2022
Late enrolment applications for Term 1, 2023 will be considered on 20th January 2023
Enrolment for Term 2 2023 - ballot Friday 3rd February 2023
Enrolment for Term 3 2023 - ballot Friday 28th April 2023
Enrolment for Term 4 2023 - ballot Friday 21st July 2023
Enrolment for Term 1 2024 - ballot Friday 13th October 2023
Our Newsletter Sponsors
Please support these businesses that support us:
Junior Team Leader
Middle Team Leader
Senior Team Leader
International Student enquiries